1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this Fender Bass exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J-Dub, May 16, 2011.

1. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I currently play a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass and I love it. The pickups give me a great punchy, loud sound and the neck is super playable.

But...G.A.S. has crept from pedalboard, to my amp, and now to my bass. I like the sounds I get out of the geddy, but I really want more vintage fender warmth to my sound. So I came across the "60's Road Worn Jazz Bass". I've heard really good things, but I really want a string-thru-body setup so I can have better tension on the strings for drop tuning. I have discovered on my geddy that top-loaded bridges don't do too well when I tune to drop D and C# (as in they get floppy, even with really thick gauge strings), which has become very common with the music I've been doing.

And I don't have $2000 for a new bass. I might sell/trade my geddy lee for a new/used one.

So my question is:
    Does this exist in one bass?

-Fender Jazz Bass
    -Road Worn/Relic/Nitrocellulose/Vintage thin Finish for that "woody" tone
    -String-thru-body/Back-loaded string setup
    -~$1000, give or take, new/used

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Buy a used Road Worn Jazz (I did and I love it), buy a string-thru-body replacement bridge of your choice (2008 or later AM STD maybe?), get a drill and some ferrules and you're done. Probably doable for under $850.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    String-thru doesn't increase string tension. It will give you a better break angle, though.

4. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That seems like a good idea, hadn't considered that. I'm hesitant to do that myself though, maybe it wouldn't be too expensive to have done professionally.

5. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    What exactly is the benefit (if there is one) of increasing the break angle? And what would be the best way to increase tension? I can't stand super floppy low notes.

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    +1 to ahc's post...my thoughts exactly!

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    This exists in no solid-body electric bass.

It exists in the imaginations of a huge number of deluded players.

See? I'm helping! Your search is already easier!

You're welcome!

The only advantage to through-body stringing is that your Fender strings will actually fit, which is something.

8. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
  9. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    or maybe thats worth another posting. but i'm sure every question i have has been asked 3049 times on talkbass, i just need to dig around more...

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Thank you for pointing this out. An amazing number of players don't understand the uncompromising fixed relationship between voiced length, tension and pitch.
    Beyond a certain point there is no real advantage to increasing the break angle. A properly installed and set up four-saddle toploader is perfectly fine.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    All other things being equal,

LOW MASS BRIDGE.

FLATS.

NECK PICKUP ONLY.

PLUCKING CLOSER TO THE NECK.

12. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    thanks! i actually just read a post by you on another forum addressing this same issue and it seems to make the most sense out what most people were saying.

so, i'm starting to lean toward the idea of getting an additional bass, instead of swapping...my G.A.S. is really acting up...

so now that i have a good bright sounding bass, and know the specs to get a woody sound, what are some specific basses that would get me that tone? i will say that i don't prefer active basses, so i'm open to all passive bass suggestions.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    A Fender Precision. It defines woody thump.

All else is commentary.

14. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Also worth noting here is the differences between 60's bridge pickup spacing verses 70's spacing.

The 60's basses had the bridge pickup about 1/4” closer to the neck.
    Whether or not this makes that big of a difference I can't comment on as I don't have enough experience with jazz basses but in any case I thought it might be helpful to throw that out there.

15. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    +1
    True:hyper:

16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You could buy higher tension strings. Heavier gauge will give you more tension, and some string designs/brands are higher tension than others even at the same gauge. Unfortunately, most brands don't tell you string tension, so it can be a trial and error proposition.

17. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Isn't the only way to increase tension tightening the strings and therefore tuning higher?

18. http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart.pdf

That helped me a ton. Playing in drop C I am playing .130 .085 .070 .050 It seems I like the tension around 40. Low 30s and my ape hand I bend the strings some when I don't want to and it sounds like I don't have the intonation correct.
    Basically the bigger string allows you to keep the tuning you want with more tension at the same note.

PS...using S.I.T. Nickel rock brights for 17.00/set and love them.