Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

doing some research, need some feedback

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by el_mariachi, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Hey all. I've been playing guitar, drums, and bass for about 13 years now and I'm seriously considering going to upright. Its something I've wanted to do for while and I'm quickly learning that it will be quite an investment. I'd mainly be playing latin and latin jazz type stuff and from who I've seen and listened to perform, a lot of them play azola. I love the baby bass and some of azola's other products, but the baby bass is very nice. BUT I want something that has a good tone both arco and pizzi. One of my questions about the baby bass, since no one around here sells them and I can't try it out, is that for practice situations by myself is the baby audible enough without an amp to practice with? At this time, I've still not decided to go EUB or full on acoustic (as of right now I'm about 40/60 towards DB), since I still have at least a couple years before I will have the money to get one. I'm getting ready to move to Aurora, IL so if there is anyone on here that is near that area that would be able to help me out in a few months, please let me know. Thanks for all your help!!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The Babies :meh: I've played were pretty much inaudible unamplified. There is the Acoustic Baby Bass available, which may be slightly audible; I haven't played that one.

Buying a bass sight unseen has been discussed at length here, and most people warn against it. However, I own an Azola Bugbass, and I can vouch for its quality. It's a very nicely made bass. Product support from the Azolas is exemplary.

A quick look at the list prices on the Azola website shows the Baby Basses starting at $3295. That gets you into a pretty good level of double bass class; good laminates and even some hybrids can be found in that price range. I'm not telling you to buy a double bass instead, if you really want an EUB. But the money may not be as much of an issue as you think.

Bob Gollihur's website has listings for bass-related business in pretty much any geographic area, so you should be able to find out what's available in Illinois. Good luck!

PS....while you're at Bob's website, check out the the carved Bulgarian basses he sells (okay, maybe I am trying to steer you towards the real thing ;) )

3. trust me, buying sight unseen isn't an option in my book. I usually spend at least 1-2 hours with an intrument or component testing it out before throwing the money on the table. I'm not dead set on getting an EUB, a DB could be very probable for what I would need, especially since i would have to fork out the money for a worthy rig as well. just getting feedback from others. keep em comin!!