Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dolphin with no Dolphins?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Sep 5, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    [​IMG]

I would buy it, if it had the Dolphins on the fretboard.

2. I find the dolphin shape hard to like.

3. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Play it, and find it hard to dislike. heh
    It really is solid from tonal standpoint.

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I've played one, I still have no respect for it. Who's in charge of this poor bass? Look at that fretboard. :scowl:

5. I had one of these, this is a bolt on neck, Dolphin Pro2, this bass will have the slimmest Warwick neck you've ever played. The finish looks good on this one, the one I had was similar ro a blue used by Ford in the eighties!
    In the UK, these are usualy about £400 to £500, less than half a Pro 1, with Dolphins!!

Tony

6. Wyman

Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    I really wish they didn't have that goofy looking shape. They seem to sound awesome from people who've recorded with them, but I really hate the way they look. Too expensive, as well :p

That fretboard is hurtin man :)

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    GET THAT THING SOME LEMON JUICE

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Dolphin shape is great from a balance standpoint. I love those things. If I weren't such a Steinberger nut, I'd probably be all over a Dolphin (a neck through, anyway).

When did they start making a bolt on version?

9. I think they made them around 1994, I don't think they were in production for very long , unless someone can tell us otherwise!

Tony

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup. It's like the anti-Thumb bass. Put that upper horn on a Thumb and you wouldn't see nearly as many of them on eBay.

11. OK, lemon juice and fret boards, someone enlighten me. I know it's for cleaning, but as to how to do it I have no idea. Can someone help me?

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Lemon OIL, not juice. There are some threads about it in Setup I believe if you do a search.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    BTW, I've never heard of anyone else saying they wouldn't buy a bass because it didn't have dolphin inlays.

"Y'know, I really was about to get that Fodera Garrison model, but it just didn't have enough dolphins on it...."

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "I'll be honest.. fellas, the bass sounds great. But..they could've used a few more dolphins..."

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more dolphins!"

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    i'm so sorry

17. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    haha.. thats the only bass that statement works for..
    I need more cowbell

18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Don't be.. I can barely type from the giggles...

If you don't mind I've got a spot for you on my signature...

for a while at least...

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm honored :)

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    were those made in Germany o in Japan?