1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don't be so serious...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by one4dabass, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Hello Talkbassists!
    Here's my last solo live video ...

The first idea was to acoustically work around time and pizz stamina with repetitive lines, keepin' the groove with imperceptible rythmic changes.

Then, inspiring by the great playing of Renaud Garcia-Fons (on four strings :) ), I decided to make a chorus in his way, with some of his elements of construction, articulation and phrasing...

And because I like having fun while playing (and hope you too), I purpose you a live clip of the recording, performing Kitt (and including my 80's computer wichone I can't do anything -bloody synchronisation-).

Recorded with a H4n microphone, 4 main live tracks (plus 2 non filmed little parts at the end of the themes), drums added after the takes...
    Have fun to watch!

Blessings and good music to you,
    Mathieu.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That's twisted. I like it. :D

3. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Bravo

4. Very cool.

5. MeLikeBass

MeLikeBass Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That kicks ass :)

6. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Very cool! Great imagination and great playing too!

7. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Concur!

8. Chris, Nathan, MrSidecar,MeLikeBass,tcl and DC Bass, thanks a lot for your compliments ... It's probably my last vid so thanks so much for your positive words.

MeLikeBass, DC Bass:
    Thanks, I not really used my imagination for this vid.
    Knight Rider's scenarists -and composer- used it...
    And Renaud's too, using a new instrument, creating a new way of playing...

Glad you had fun and appreciated it as I had fun to play.
    Sorry for the gear and the vid editing-and my bass is really dead- (it's sometimes very frustrating, music is a richman's sport)...
    Keepin' the fun side.
    Best regards and good music to all of you,
    Mathieu.

9. lorianb

lorianb

Apr 10, 2011
    Ottawa
    Ça me ramène à l'adolescence. The Hasselhoff pic on the music stand kind of freaks me out though. ;) Why is it probably the last vid?

10. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Awesome job Mathieu! I love this.

11. Geoff and Lorian: thanks so much for your words!

Lorian: Because I need to get a real (paid) full time job... :)
    Reality of music in Paris now ...

Have a nice day and good music to you guys !
    Mathieu.

12. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    This one is a good one. I guess I prefer irony to trying elevate pop - though I am not fan of either. Love the bass playing as always. I am curious about the thread title, do you really feel too much seriousness in recent music? Because I feel the opposite.

13. http://www.footmercato.net/images/a/benat-a-gauche-celebre-son-2e-but-face-au-fc-seville_84566.jpg
    Thanks Damon ! TBH, I wondered about your reaction about this one ... :)

Glad that you appreciate my sense of humor :)
    And thanks to say that I try to elevate pop, even using irony.
    Maybe I'll shock you, but I don't try to elevate pop at all...
    Pop or rock (or jazz or any kind of music who rises Geniuses) don't need me to be elevate, especially the tunes I love to play.
    If I tried to 'elevate' something, it's about double bass and opening ranges of ways of playing, to try to show there's no limit with our instrument ... It offers many possibilities.
    And most of all, to feel this teenage rock energy, this primal pleasure even when I'm improvising with a bow, don't trying to use my brain -I love it too, pleasures are different- as I do when I play other styles.
    And I learned a lot. As an example, playing this fingered ostinato during 3 minutes is mental, I don't know any classical, jazz or contemporary pieces who requires this type of endurance while grooving so basically. Grooving unison is comparable, key songs (Bloody F sharp) etc ...
    A lot of evident things for the others instruments are not for us. Not because it's impossible to play it on a double bass. But just because we often never played it.
    Most of my pitch precision playing progress went when I played standards songs or pop melodies.
    I suggest you to play artificial harmonics along the higher Michael Jackson's melodies with the same pitch and intention (ex: They Don't Care About Us, from G note to F) that's a WONDERFUL experience. It make sense and BEAUTY to a lot of techniques we used in other styles. Because ear has an other reference, you can't hide behind your own indulgence (the "That's Not Bad syndrome") or the lack of musical culture of people to appreciate or admire what you play: and that's I love.

You surely right about 'recent' music (I guess you're talking about all these 'Gangnam Style-like'), but often not about musicians ...
    One bad thing the pop music brings to all the others music: the Star/ego System ...
    Thanks again for your message and good music to you,

Blessings,
    Mathieu.

14. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Hey Mathieu,
    I just want to add that I love what your doing with your videos and think you have such a talent for playing the double bass! I know it sucks trying to make a living doing it, but I really value your music and hope you can continue playing as much as possible. Your performance in this video with the singer Zaz is superb! You are nailing thumb position here!

http://youtu.be/sp3G50jBRuU

15. Thanks Geoff for your support... One thing I tried to musically 'elevate' was this band...
    But that unfortunately was not the choice of the managers...

And in France, when you plays a style, you must to keep it.
    So much frontiers "He plays classical, but he don't really know about jazz." Other guy: "No, he plays world music well, but he has no phrasing" -or the contrary-...
    A lot of people are often disturbing by transversality, they need to feel reassured by references they already knows about your playing(I don't talking about my masters or friends, who have the same vision).
    Best luck and work with your site (your tutorials are really good!),
    Good music to you, all the best,
    Mathieu.

Ps: I really loved GTA V at the begining, but was disappointed by Rockstar's on line vision ( a really lack of solo content :( )
    But still a nice game, if you have time to play it... :)
    Blessings.

16. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I like

17. Thanks, Marc, and congrats for your deep sound !
    Have a nice week and good music to you,
    Blessings,
    Mathieu.