1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Don't give up on guitar - Fender article

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    “When the kid plugs it in for the first time, it doesn’t sound like a screaming cat when it comes out of an amp,” said Mooney. “We want to help with a lot of the basic stuff.”

Whatever happened to the good old days, when kids would spend all day trying to make their guitars sound like a screaming cat?

lostreality, Robert B and rufus.K like this.
  2. They get that outta their phones these days!
    Fishheadjoe

3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I like the idea of modeling amps Bluetooth'd to the phone to get tones and effects.
    Use any house amp, just bring your phone and your tone is there.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    And people quit electric guitars more often than acoustic ones, he said, because of the pain factor: Steel strings hurt delicate hands.

This has me puzzled. Classical guitars have nylon strings, but most acoustic guitars have steel strings, of roughly the same size and tuned to the same pitch as electric guitars.

I wonder if people stick with acoustic guitar for other reasons, such as:

1. It makes a pleasant sound, right off the bat, at a volume level that people can tolerate
    2. It's more self contained, inasmuch as you don't need cables, amp, or other electronics, to play it
    3. It's a social instrument -- plenty of repertoire that doesn't require a full band to make sense, so you can entertain friends with it
    4. It looks nice, and won't get kicked out of the living room

If these things are true, then it would be a miscalculation to assume that you can make more people interested in guitar by turning it into yet another app.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  5. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I stopped getting a newspaper when it became evident that for some people even that job is too complicated.

6. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I never got the sound, but once my tone was so bad that my cat attacked the amp