Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't you just hate it when......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, May 4, 2004.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    people who are selling something call it custom or unique or something when it's just a pickup replacement or something like that?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you have McDonald's hamburgers in Iceland ??? :D

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Yes but very few:D

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

LOL...

They have fried chicken, too...

====

What do you mean, like 'custom' Barts to fit the Jazz bass?

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    We have more chicken than hamburgers, but we need the eggs.

I mean like Custom Rogue or Custom Johnson or Custom Crapwood and the only thing is that they replaced a pickup or the pickguard or something like that:D

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That would be an overstatement, certainly.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"No pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us....at McDonalds"

To give you a serious answer - To me, a true custom is getting a bass that conforms to your concepts of what your bass should be. Your spec's may be crazy, but you get what you asked for - and that can be a real risk.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Most "high-end" builder who offer "customizable" options really don't like the word custom, and I try to use it as little as possible. It infers that anything goes, and sometimes "anything goes" can end up in a real disaster. Offering a lot of options, such as pickups, preamps, scale lenghts, wood choices, etc. can be great for players who are looking for something different than an off-the-shelf instrument, but a true custom instrument is something very different. A bit off topic, but worth noting all the same.

9. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Not off-topic, I want to hear as many aspects of this issue as possible. I'm one of those guys that check ebay out a lot and there are so many low-end Washburns, Yamahas, Ibanez's and the ones I mentioned earlier that have the statement "custom" and there is nothing custom about it. What is custom exactly??

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think that modifying something doesn't make it a "custom". I guess if you had something built that was unique and to your taste it would be custom as far as basses are concerned. I put a new preamp and pickups in my bass but I just consider it to be modified.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Modding it is "customizing", but it doesn't make the bass custom. My bass is customized/modified, but there is a rather marked difference between customized and custom.

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    So if you buy a bass froma Luthier exactly to your needs it's "Custom" but if you buy a stock bass and have them "customize" it by putting another pickups or something else it's not? Where lies the bounderies? (Did I spell Bounderies correctly?)

Also Carvin offers standard bodyshapes but you can customize your options, are they Custom basses? They consider themselves as a custom shop.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    "Boundaries", and I think you got it right on the money. I would call those Carvins custom, because it offers such a large amount of options (from what I've seen in the ads, hardware, electronics, finishes, strings, etc. etc. -- basically, everything but carving).