Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doom3!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 4, 2004.

1. I just got Doom3, and it's excellent. It really is. The atmosphere's amazing, and it's best to take it slow and play with the volume up. (surround sound helps) It's really frightening at times, and I love the cutscenes they have when they introduce new, horrific creatures. I do have to say that in its current state, the multi blows as it's limited to deathmatch-based modes, but id fully supports modifications, and there should be an SDK soon, so in a few months, some good multiplayer mods should come out.

Anyhow, it's amazing. The graphics and the atmosphere are just top-notch. I love how they make everything really dark in places, so you have to use your flashlihgt, then something big and nasty jumps out at you when you're not expecting it, and end up just trying to beat it with your flashlight because you're so startled!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Parallel universe.

brad cook

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Bah, seeing as I played the first Doom when it originally came out, I really want to try out Doom 3. But that means that I have to make a massive upgrade to my computer :(

New cpu, motherboard, memory, hdd, video card and a new case :(

Damn!

4. Yeah thats the same with me....i would love to play it though i dont think my 32mb graphics card will handle it.

5. I still have the maps for Return to Castle Wolfenstein in my head :D

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Second that!

I played that game until I was blue in the face.. :)

I even got a map editor and made my own levels... excellent game!

7. I think I should be ashamed to admit that I even played Doom 1 & 2 all the way through starting each level with only the pistol and 50 rounds :bag: those were the days

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

I don't think thats enought... computers that can run that game wont come out for another 10 years :D

WHY is everyone SCARED of that game???? I talked to 5 people who said "that game is good, but its hella SCARY... scary?!?!?! GAME!!!!

Pong rules you all anyways and tetris... and pacman... now those are great scary games

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    2.4 gig, 512 meg of ram, 100 gig hard drive, and I believe a 32 meg video card; would that be able to run it on the lower graphics setting without going belly up?

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    One of the PC tech sites was at id last week, along with ATI and nVidia. What they found was the a 1.5GHz P4 (or equiv.) with 384MB RAM and a 64MB GeForce 3 card could play well. Anything beyond that adds to the realism.

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Heh, I downloaded Doom I shareware off of Compuserve using a 2400bps MODEM. :eek: Took 3 hours to download (at $4.80/hr) but it was more than worth it! :D

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Will I have to spring for a new video card, because am pretty sure it isn't 64 meg.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I believe the XBox version is to be released somewhere around Oct. 1 for those who don't have the computer to handle it.

14. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Why don't you wait until the demo has been released at www.doom3.com and test it on your machine? They have committed to releasing one.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Actually, I just found the spec sheet for my pc and is a 64 meg Geforce 4.

Thanks for the help, by the way.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Is it TI or MX

If TI, its probebly ti 4200, i have that... but 128mb... they are good cards... you will have to tone the quility down but it should be playable... You just wont have greatest graphics as someone with newer/better cards would... but it will be playable

MX will be a problem... not the greatest cards in the world... probebly equal to gf2:/ i would not count on it to pull doom3 off:/

Hope that helps

Cheers

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Crap, it's MX. I think I will wait for the demo before commiting.

18. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I don't know if the floppies are still good, but I have Doom I & II floating around somewhere as well.