Door or the bar?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Shomy, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Hypothetical question. You are having a gig which is supposed to attract 200 people. You get the door, and landlord get's the bar. He has nice equipment (we are to poor to have our on amps & stuff) Would you go for that? Or maybe we should split the bar 80:20? Or maybe both :)
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I would have thought the landlord is more likely to be thinking, "Shall I charge them a percentage of the door or just a flat fee for gear hire, etc?"! I can't recall doing a gig where we saw any of the bar takings - some of that might be because it's much more difficult to figure out (money taken minus depletion of stock and bar staff wages).

If you get all the beans from the door then that's already a pretty good deal.

3. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I've had people promise a take from the bar but I've never seen it. A portion of the door is usually a good bet.
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If you go with the door, you should supply a guy to count how many comes in. Can't trust those door guys all the time. :eyebrow:
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Really, Dude - HE supplies the equipment AND gives you the door?! You should kiss his boots.

Ed's right though about door-money.

6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    we might be fortunate, or just stupid, I dunno...
    we never charge a cover. The places are cool with it, and we make decent $ at most of them. Never really thought the whole thing through though- I joined after they were well-established and the policy was in place.

What am I missing here?
    Should we be charging covers?
    I'd like to hear more on the subject.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My personal rule: never agree to the door take, or any percentage thereof, unless you are willing to play for free. More often than not, the number of people who actually show isn't anywhere near what both sides expect, AND there is always, inevitably, and argument as to how many people came through the door. Even if you have your own guy counting, and the bar guy who check's ID's is taking the $$$, what do you do when you disagree on the number??? Fight with the people who run the bar, and never get to play there again???

So long as you ASSUME this is going to happen going in, AND are still willing to play if you get screwed, THEN go ahead and do it.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I used to skip the bars with reputations for doing that. It very rarely came up at the good places. At one placewe used to get offered 10% of the bar or 25% of the door. At 3$ a cover in a packed house, with the cover starting at ten, most of the people in the place before that, and the bar being 3 deep all night. I don't have to tell you that the owner used an accountant because he sucked at math.
  9. wow, I feel really blessed. we never play for the door or the bar. we play for a pre-negotiated fee which varies according to venue or event. no one has tried to screw us yet.....
    hmmm, maybe having lawyers in the band pays off
  10. well we have a lawyer in a bend. I will see with him about those contracts.
    thanks for all the info. You've been very helpful. I think we'll go for that gig expecting 50 people so whoever comes as a bonus is a bonus LOL :D
  11. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    Try playing in L.A. you pay the bar a fee for playing there and then get a percentage of the door.

Of course, it doesn't help that there are 500 other bands that are after the same gig.
  12. LA is to far away. I'm from Europe