1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Bass duets/trios/more

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by pclarkbassman, Feb 23, 2013.

1. pclarkbassman

pclarkbassman

Mar 8, 2008
    Utah
    I've been searching online at various music websites looking for reviews on double bass ensemble music (all basses, not like the Trout or other ensembles that have bass in it). Trouble is, It's been hard finding good reviews or if people have liked the content in the books.

btw, this is for arranging my private studio to do a recital with nothing but ensemble music. Therefore I'm fine with a wide array of difficulty ranging from beginner to advanced.

What are your opinions/experience with music that you've played? Also, please include the difficulty of the music.

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Do you have specific pieces you want to know about?

3. Tom Gale

Tom Gale

May 16, 2009
    When I was an active teacher, I found that part of the lesson devoted to duets was very valuable. The student tends to copy your vibrato, bowing, etc. without a lot of explanations. Not many were available so I started writing my own. The result was "Melodic Duets" - a collection of 19 duets ranging from easy to mod. advanced. If you would like to try one (free!), go to asodb.org and download "Spirituals" by me. Give it a try.
    Tom Gale
    TBGale3@att.net

4. pclarkbassman

pclarkbassman

Mar 8, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks Tom. I'll check it out.

@Neil- mostly anything. I'd like to steer away from popular folk tunes and corny songs. more classical (lesser known, the better), jazz, latin, other world music, etc... I'd prefer music that you (or others that may post) have played before and enjoyed. again, I'm looking for music up to advanced. professional stuff like the grand duo concerto, etc is not possible (not to mention that it's not for two or more basses)

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I haven't played a lot of this type music, but you might start with this publisher that has a lot of bass ensemble music, and you can see a page or two of the score to see the style and difficulty of the piece. Plus, there's a blurb about each one.
    http://www.recitalmusic.net

6. csambass

csambass

Jul 22, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Have you ever checked out Dave Anderson's duets? Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but these 7 duets are fun to play and are very interesting to listen to.

7. stephwt

stephwt

Mar 19, 2013
    Orem, UT, USA
    I've arranged and composed a number duets and trios for bass, played here in Kansas City by my children's teachers. I try to write an upper line that is more challenging and a lower line that is easy (and a middle difficulty line in a trio). I've got some Bach and Mozart, including "lesser known" pieces. Most of what I've written is for bass-bass, but I've got cello-bass versions too. I've also written an original fun piece that quite a few local teachers have requested, written in D-Dorian mode for a spooky sound. Last, I was just thinking of writing a few more, so if you have some requests I'd probably be willing to give a new duet or trio a try (assuming I also enjoy the piece).

8. carverjazz

carverjazz

Feb 2, 2011
    I know this has been mentioned on a number of logs/forums previously, and it may not be germane in this context. But I recall with some astonishment, mirth and incredulity, Messer's Brown, Meyers and Wooten doing a trio thing on a way early Lonesome Pine Special, and a rather comedic, duo-bass trade-off thing between Edgar and Vic during the same telecast, and a . . . . . Well, I guess you're just going to have to find those YouTube links yourselves. I've sort of lost track of them. Regards.

9. pclarkbassman

pclarkbassman

Mar 8, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks for all the info. I've already utilized some of those resources all of you have shared. What about music for 5+ basses? anyone have any luck there? (I know Dave Anderson has a few, but my younger students would mess their little pants trying to play that stuff).

10. Expatbassman67

Expatbassman67

Mar 7, 2013
  11. stephwt

stephwt

Mar 19, 2013
    Orem, UT, USA
    5 bass parts will often end up sounding too muddy to be enjoyed by anyone but a pure bass enthusiast (or their mother :)). I would favor 2 or 3 parts and having them double on those parts.

try this: http://www.8notes.com/double_bass/

you might have to sign up for the site to get in.

12. Tom Gale

Tom Gale

May 16, 2009
    The Melodic Duets are available from Lemur along with my other books.

Tom Gale

13. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    I've played seven sonorities for double bass trio. It's got some pretty good stuff, a little challenging in places.

The other thing that I found to be really good are cello duets from the Suzuki method, and the older cello duet books. Most of them read well for a bass, the occasional octave jump for low D and C. It also sounds pretty good with just two bases.

14. ifg

ifg Supporting Member

May 4, 2011
    brooklyn, ny
    beethoven's drei equali (for trombones) sound just terrific on bass---they are short, dark, playable, beautiful, on imslp, and require absolutely no transposition. they're fantastic for intonation work, and while they're not especially challenging in terms of dexterity/speed, because they sit at varied ranges across the fingerboard, they will give a little bit of work to any level of student, whether they're still in first position or in thumb. and the finished product will be totally suitable for any audience, even one not predisposed to listening to bass--in part because they're written by beethoven, and in part because the writing itself is so beautiful.

15. ifg

ifg Supporting Member

May 4, 2011
    brooklyn, ny
    i should add that if you have an advanced quartet, the gunther schuller is great. pretty difficult stuff though, unless you like a lot of rosin in your fingertips!

16. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks for the tip, tried them yesterday, good stuff as you say, a little challenging with the tempo using some YouTube rendition as a a benchmark..particularly first movement..

17. stephwt

stephwt

Mar 19, 2013
    Orem, UT, USA
    What do you think of the Mozart k.581 here on 8-notes? (under Double Bass downloads). It is one of those little-known Mozart pieces with a very memorable, wonderful melody. This arrangement for 3 bass parts is particularly nice for teachers in that it has an easy, intermediate and advanced line. The "Sleuth" piece here on 8-notes is also a favorite.

18. stephwt

stephwt

Mar 19, 2013
    Orem, UT, USA
    Sorry, I had both pages up at the same time and thought I was on the other site. 8notes is a free download site. The link to their double bass stuff is:

http://www.8notes.com/double_bass/