1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Bass for < $1,000?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by thomas tolleson, Oct 2, 2008.

1. thomas tolleson

thomas tolleson

Oct 2, 2008
    I've recently become very interested in using a double bass in some tracks (home recording) as opposed to my electric bass. I'm considering buying a double bass, but I can only afford to spend up to $1,000. Is it possible to get a decent suonding instrument for this price? Are there any recommended brands?

Thanks!

Tom Tolleson

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Read everything here...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43093

Then you'll have a little more knowledge as to choices and what everyone thinks about them. The short answer is "highly unlikely". Though I think if bassesonline.com has any inventory left you might have a chance there with a Roma or Eberle.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Agreed. One way or another, once you get a decent setup done by a luthier, you'd be hard pressed not to spend at least $1200 or so. Don't overlook the great importance and value of a proper setup.

4. thomas tolleson

thomas tolleson

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks guys! This is a good start for me!