1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double bass stolen...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gcordez, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    hi guys,

anybody had an instrument stolen?
    on saturday my car was broken into and my double bass and preamp, tuner, bow etc was taken.

someone had obviously been staking me out and cleaned me out in one go.

im hoping my insurance will help me out a little, but its not the same as having your instrument...

not sure what the point of this post is, other than to vent my spleen.

anybody got some positive insurance claim stories to cheer me up?

2. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    bummer :atoz:

3. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    how did he get away with that??? unless its an EUB...

4. spellcaster

spellcaster Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    I had a bass stolen out of my van in DC and about a year later while I was looking at the vendor ads in Vintage Guitar Magazine in New Orleans I came across a bass that sounded alot like mine from a seller in a DC music store.
    When I returned I was able to check it out and it certainly was my bass. I contacted the cops and after a couple rounds and reluctance from the owner of the shop I was able to identify it was mine from my initials that I had marked in the neck pocket years before.
    True story. There is hope. Keep an eye out for it, it might just resurface.

5. EggyToast

EggyToast

Jan 21, 2006
    Baltimore
    That sucks, man. Why was your bass in your car? I've had so many musician friends lose things from their car. You do it repeatedly and yeah, someone figures out how to get away with something.

Put out the word to local pawn shops/music shops, and call the police. Double basses aren't exactly common items to try to sell.

6. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    That's really depressing g, I've always thought of England as so civilized.
    Good insurance companies do indeed pay up without question. I hope you find your bass soon.
    Dwight

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Call the police for sure and check craigslist, ebay, and other classifieds for England-based sellers.

Good luck, mate.

8. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your recovery effort.

9. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    That makes me quite ashamed. I do hope GC gets his bass back soon.

10. Wow, that really sucks. I hope you find it. Thankfully I've never had to go through the horrors of getting my UB stolen. Good luck, and like Eggytoast said, call pawn shops and such and give them the specs, and probably a picture of your bass.

11. Sorry to hear that, that truly is a bummer.

I will keep my eyes open. Any details about the bass you want to share may help.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Hmmmm...afraid not - theft from an unattended vehicle is so common that most insurance companies won't touch it!! :meh:

I had an EA cab stolen from the back of my car ..only consolation was that I was able to buy it back from eBay for a fraction of what it was worth, as nobody knows how expensive these things really are!! :p