1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double thumping Fingernail pain

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gaetano Paul, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey guys,
    So I just did Victor Wootens DVD groove workshop, FANTASTIC, I cant recommend it enough! Even though he does not really focus on technique I can now double thump. So I have been doing it alot yesterday, and today. But it seems it is filing my fingernail down a good bit. IS this technique dangerous for the fingernail? I cant see a calous forming on top of the fingernail, but maybe somehow?

Anyone any input or experience with this? :eyebrow:

2. fonnet

fonnet

Jan 6, 2008
    Toulouse
    Plucking up with the nail will file it. Maybe you should work less at first in order to keep your nail! Maybe just working with the thumb as a mediator on 8th note rock groove to get the motion in the wrist and not making constant repetitive plucks with the nail.
    Another way if you want to work a lot, you can put varnish on the nail or super glue.

3. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    I've also heard of people using clear fingernail polish for this.

4. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    will the nail eventually form something like a callous?

5. fonnet

fonnet

Jan 6, 2008
    Toulouse
    Not for me! But you may have fragile nails, we don't have all the same thickness. I heard from picking guitarists that Tolophan is something you can take to make your nails "stronger".

6. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    That's weird! I've been double thumbing for a couple of months now even the first time I've tried it there's no pain involve.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I had some pain when I started. I also started ripping the skin at the side of my nail, which KILLED.

but, it passed. It doesn't hurt anymore