Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOUBLEBASSMAX

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neroantico, Feb 28, 2006.

1. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    Hi.
    Forgive my english but i feel i need your help.
    My current set up: gewa hybrid 3/4 + bassmax + focus1 + eden cx110.
    I'm not fully satisfied with my sound, the bassmax is fine but mounted in basswing is lacking attack while pizz on G string.
    I obtained better results mounting the pu on the treble side but then it is not yet what i'm looking for.
    I just get the doublebassmax from allHailBob, properly fitted.How could i make it work? i tried with both single and stereo cable from pu to focus. I suspect that focus is not suited for stereo cable. Should i use a pre with a stereo input?
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    Ciao
    Giovanni

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Your English is fine - certainly way better than my nonexistant Italian, and better still than my long forgotten German. Welcome to TB.

Yes, you'll need a two channel preamp. You can either get one with a stereo input jack (I believe K&K makes one like this), or a cable that separates your stereo signal into two 1/4" mono signals; if you go with the splitter, then any two channel preamp will do. I'd recommend either the Raven Labs PMB-II (no longer made, but available used) or a D-Tar Solstice if you go this way. I played with a Double Bass Max for years, and it's a very workable configuration. IME, the one thing you'll want to think about with this pickup is some way to work a high pass filter into the signal chain, as it tends to be a bit bass heavy, especially as the volume creeps up. The beauty of the two channel preamp is that you can EQ both sides separately.

Or, if your Focus is a Focus 2 (2 channels), that's better still, as you can run the each signal into its own channel and EQ right in the box. Good luck.

3. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    I added a second bass max for the same reasons as you, but didn't have a two-channel preamp at the time.
    I rewired the connection mono, by soldering both + wires to the tip terminal.
    This will put them in phase, which I preferred. Balance from low to high was better with a double vs. a single.
    I believe some people wire the two out of phase by reversing the wires on one. I tried this, but it didn't work as well on my bass.

4. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    Thank you.
    I apreciate your help, i'm thinking more to a K+K pre stereo input. I may use the focus effect return in case of upgrading with a mic.
    Your knowledge is heavy.
    Thank you again.