1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DOUBLEBASSMAX

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neroantico, Feb 28, 2006.

1. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    Hi.
    Forgive my english but i feel i need your help.
    My current set up: gewa hybrid 3/4 + bassmax + focus1 + eden cx110.
    I'm not fully satisfied with my sound, the bassmax is fine but mounted in basswing is lacking attack while pizz on G string.
    I obtained better results mounting the pu on the treble side but then it is not yet what i'm looking for.
    I just get the doublebassmax from allHailBob, properly fitted.How could i make it work? i tried with both single and stereo cable from pu to focus. I suspect that focus is not suited for stereo cable. Should i use a pre with a stereo input?
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    Ciao
    Giovanni

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Your English is fine - certainly way better than my nonexistant Italian, and better still than my long forgotten German. Welcome to TB.

Yes, you'll need a two channel preamp. You can either get one with a stereo input jack (I believe K&K makes one like this), or a cable that separates your stereo signal into two 1/4" mono signals; if you go with the splitter, then any two channel preamp will do. I'd recommend either the Raven Labs PMB-II (no longer made, but available used) or a D-Tar Solstice if you go this way. I played with a Double Bass Max for years, and it's a very workable configuration. IME, the one thing you'll want to think about with this pickup is some way to work a high pass filter into the signal chain, as it tends to be a bit bass heavy, especially as the volume creeps up. The beauty of the two channel preamp is that you can EQ both sides separately.

Or, if your Focus is a Focus 2 (2 channels), that's better still, as you can run the each signal into its own channel and EQ right in the box. Good luck.

3. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    I added a second bass max for the same reasons as you, but didn't have a two-channel preamp at the time.
    I rewired the connection mono, by soldering both + wires to the tip terminal.
    This will put them in phase, which I preferred. Balance from low to high was better with a double vs. a single.
    I believe some people wire the two out of phase by reversing the wires on one. I tried this, but it didn't work as well on my bass.

4. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    Thank you.
    I apreciate your help, i'm thinking more to a K+K pre stereo input. I may use the focus effect return in case of upgrading with a mic.
    Your knowledge is heavy.
    Thank you again.