Doubleneck Guitar/Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IndifferentBass, Mar 12, 2018.

1. IndifferentBass

IndifferentBass

Apr 10, 2014
    Hi all,
    I’m looking to buy a doubleneck with a bass on top and 6-string guitar on bottom. Any suggestions? Love the way the Rickenbacker 4080s look, but they don’t make them anymore (and the ones for sale are ridiculously expensive). So I’m looking for alternatives.

Or – if anybody has any drawings or anything that can help me build my own, that’d also be really helpful.

Thanks so much!

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  3. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I got mine (12 str. - 4 str.) from Logical Guitars in Vancouver. It's really just an Alibaba guitar from China, but he dealt with my specs and getting it into the country. He's pretty reliable. I doubt I'd try it now, with CITES getting all medieval on Rosewood. Not a bad axe. Not great (ya get what ya pay for). Sounded nothing like a Ric (obviously). I ended up selling it.

20150206_162856.jpg

021.jpg

4. IndifferentBass

IndifferentBass

Apr 10, 2014
    Oh wow! Thanks for the replies. Sorry; I didn’t get any notifications of responses for some reason and am just now seeing these.

I’ll have to check these out. Thanks guys :D

5. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    dabbler and rtav like this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    For right or wrong, doubleneck designers put the neck they think will be used the less of the two on top 99% of the time.
    It also makes sense from a balance perspective to have the longest horn possible on top, which would normally be from the longer of the two scale length instruments.

You're going to have slim options for finding a new, premade instrument. They're very seldom made, for a lot of practical reasons.

One is that bands usually don't sound good when the bass player stops playing bass and starts playing guitar unless someone else steps in to take over the bass role.

The second is that most people don't play bass and guitar through the same rig, so it would need separate outputs (which few designs include) or an external switching system leading two amps. Which is a ton to carry to a gig, along with a very heavy instrument. However, modern modeling and IEM systems would make that much less of an issue than it used to be.

If you're going to design and build your own, here's my advice: Get two instruments you like, chop them up and glue the bodies together. Make a to-scale cardboard or plywood mockup first to triple check everything.
    Another thing to consider is non-parallel necks. That would let you put the bridges as close together as possible, to reduce body size and weight, while keeping the nuts far enough apart to be able to play comfortably.
    ia3ffefm66zlloybfz6v.jpg

bigtone23 and bholder like this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Ibanez made some. My bandmate in high school had one like this.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4J_ZV5_NWV9F_lyLgHu1psjqNNHgdnGR2ls5WZOA7FKQOWPYd.jpg
    Looking at Ibanez doubles, I would dig this one...
    doubleneckibanez.jpg
    However, this one wins, because 12-string-all-tuners-on-one-side-of-a-reverse-hockey-stick-with-a-5-string-bass.
    4be91029cf9751d6cf73247892a1e96e.jpg

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That looks ready to snap! Wish the bass headstock was reversed too.

bigtone23 likes this.
  10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Oh hell, why stop at two...

f57cf95cf60698d7da7cf5e1aecb0f1c.jpg Bill-Bailey-multi-neck-guitar.jpg main-qimg-51d2e6b75d6d1a024a2e6f81dc78754b-c.jpeg images.jpeg

IndifferentBass likes this.
  11. I remember seeing on eBay years ago, a double neck bass and guitar for sale that a guy had made. It was a P bass and a Strat. The body of the Strat had been cut off above the pick guard in the shape of the bottom of the P bass. There were a couple of metal pegs in the top of the strat body with holes in the bottom curve of the P bass to keep everything straight and a flat bar that would come up from the back of the strat and hook onto a bolt or screw on the back of the P bass to keep it together. The P was basically unchanged except for the holes in the bottom and the screw on the back. I thought it was a pretty slick idea. I have thought about trying it out for a long time but never have.

Wish I had a picture of it.

EDIT: Picture something like this...

Double Flux Guitar pulls apart to become two singles

BnB

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  12. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm a pick player, punk pick player, I don't quite play with the bass at my knees, but I defo wear it low, so to me, it's pointless as well.

But if you wear the bass high up, it might work out just perfectly for you, depends on where your strumming sweet spot is.

But I'll never order one, I'd never use it. But, every so often I have to talk myself off the ledge, there I am phone in hand, Warmoth's number on the screen, ready to call them and ask how much for a one off double, Bass/Bass VI. That I could make work, if I could justify the ducats...

bholder likes this.
  13. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The Bass/Bass VI idea is solid.

14. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    I must believe that there are more bass/guitar double neck models available. Please post more.