Doubling rig for 2023

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Slammin Scotty, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Kevin Hailey

Kevin Hailey Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    My “big” speaker is one of the current series epifani 1x12, pretty much the same weight as your 210 but runs at 4ohm and sounds incredible.
    It’s too big for the subway though, so mostly I use an upshot, which sounds great but is lacking in volume or an old GK extension cab which is loud but not as nuanced.

Ric Vice likes this.
  2. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    Thanks Kevin. I am worried about volume when playing w/o FOH support. I am 50 miles north of NYC so no subways to deal with but I do like to load-in and out in one trip wherever possible. So far doubling requires 2 trips; EB, accessories and cab on trip 1, UB and combo or head on trip 2.

3. crd

crd Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2022
    The Fdeck will help with the boominess. I have no experience with the K&K stuff but I suspect putting the fdeck after the preamp or in the effects loop of the walkabout will take care of the excessive low-end. Some of this stuff is taste. I like a colored but flat upright sound so I would be pumped to put an upright through the walkabout before I would use the acoustic image stuff but that is just my preference. I'm don't know what your electric sounds like, so maybe you do need two separate EQ channels. I would still think about getting an a/b switch and having two separate signal chains for the upright and electric rather than a two input amp.

When I was doing touring roots/pop stuff my doubling rig was a TecAmp bonafide which was okay. (You can hear what it sounded like direct to board here if your curious.) I bought that rig in 2015 and spend five years using and wishing I bought a Grace Design's Felix so I flipped it last year for a Grace Designs Felix which is great but probably overkill for your situation.

4. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Not sure how you’re defining “mid size venue,” but I think using the Doubleshot as an extension cabinet would be enough, even without FOH. For a small venue, the Doubleshot by itself would probably suffice.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Probably my Crazy88 or Wizzy12M; the focus has a built-in variable HPF, so I can get a lot of volume without worrying about overdriving the 8" drivers in the Crazy88 with too much bass.

6. Kevin Hailey

Kevin Hailey Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    If your upright has a wheel and your amp etc. are on a hand truck, electric on your back one trip is doable, a massive handful, but doable. :)

7. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    Yeah but it is a bear to get through the turnstiles:laugh:

Ric Vice likes this.
  8. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    Thanks Jazzdog this is helpful. My Contra2R has the same preamp section as the Focus 2R (maybe the same amp?) but it is not detachable from the speakers so The extension cabinet is critical for a fuller EB sound and more volume.

Jazzdogg likes this.
  9. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Headway EDB-2 HE - small, light affordable. I'd go with something similar and see how it goes with your Walkabout and a 2x10. I use mine with a Quilter BassBlock 800 and either a Doubleshot or 2x Quilter 2x10 cabs depending on volume.

Ric Vice likes this.
  10. I double. I find my AI Clarus head is too transparent. My setup is GK MBF500 head with footswitch. This head has two gain controls and two master volumes, so the factory footswitch allows for different pickups to be set at the same volumes. I gave up using piezos, my Krivo mag pickup has more even string volumes and much more natural tone than any piezo I've tried (Vics, Rev Solo, Shadow, Barbera, Max,). Cab is a GK 2x10. EB is a Jazz.

Jefenator likes this.
  11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Good call,
    I use my Headway EDB-2H.E. as one of my go to DB preamps.

TideSwing likes this.
  12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    When I am doubling, I use different preamps to send signal for each instrument into FOH separately.

Aguilar TH pedal for BG and Broughton Messenger for EUB.

For monitoring, I am using Markbass LM 3 and Bergantino cn112. One preamp goes to instrument input and the other goes to FX return.

13. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    That is an option I am looking at. I just missed one on the classifieds.

Ric Vice and TideSwing like this.
  14. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    Thank you community for all the generous feedback. There were some subtle changes from the threads of 3 years ago but for my situation I was left with 2 solid options:
    Add a second cabinet to my AI Contra 2R 2 channel combo with one instrument in each channel or add a 2 channel preamp and use my Walkabout with 2x10 speaker.

I like the way my walkabout and 2x10 sounds for many of my EB gigs and it has been solid on louder UB gigs such as rockabilly and blues, so I decided to pick up a Headway EDB-2 HE to get the settings right when doubling. I found one used for a good enough price that I can flip it if it doesn't work out. I have a month before the next gig so plenty of time to dial in some options.

The only downside is this research got me thinking about 2x8 cabinets but that is a topic for a different thread.:)

TideSwing, Ric Vice and Wasnex like this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    1. Congratulations on finding one used, I was lucky enough to get one on the resale market as well.

2. Having tried a whole slew of 2x8 cabinets, I came to the conclusion that they aren't any better than any well made 1x10, or 1x12. Mike Arnopol
    probably built the best of the 2x8's. I have his 1x8 and it's tremendous for the size. Mikes retired to Wisconsin these days.

16. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Probably my Crazy88 or Wizzy12M; the focus has a built-in variable HPF, so I can get a lot of volume without worrying about overdriving the 8" drivers in the Crazy88 with too much bass.
    I love the composite Crazy8 and Crazy88 cabs Mike built for me. Other bassists looked askance when they saw them both stacked vertically with a tiny Acoustic Image Focus on top at a get-together several years ago at Bass San Diego. But, they grinned widely when I plugged in and started playing. ;)

Ric Vice and Wasnex like this.
  17. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    There were links for three builders of the crazy 88 design but none of them are active anymore. Is anyone currently building this design? I would love to find one in composite, is the used market is my only recourse?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  18. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If I were to build a pair, I would build them to accommodate pole-mounting, with one Crazy88 on the floor, horizontally, and the other pole-mounted, vertically, using the bottom cabinet as ballast for stability.

The lower cab should couple well with the floor to increase the perception of low bass; position the upper cabinet at a height that places the drivers close to ear level, and puts the amplifier close to eye-level for easy viewing.

Before I retired I used this configuration with the bottom cab aimed sideways, across the the stage, as a bass fill for my band mates, or pointing out into the audience; the top cab was a tweeterless Crazy8 which functioned as my personal monitor; having the lower cab coupled to the floor meant I perceived strong bass, even though it wasn't aimed toward me. IMHO, this setup KILLED with double bass, and sounded full and authoritative with five-string electric. It would doubtless have sounded better, and could have doubled as small PA speakers in intimate venues, if I had used two 88s.

I am a huge proponent of variable high-pass filters, and with my Crazy cabs, VHPF enabled me to produce ample volume without imperiling the 8" drivers or sounding at all deficient in deep bass.

I keep my Crazy cabs in zippered Cajon bags, which makes for easy carrying, load-in, and load-out. I am fortunate that my composite Crazy8 and 88 sound great while weighing only 11 pounds and 20 pound, respectively.

Please keep us posted as you proceed. :)

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Scotty,
    As far as I know Mike Arnopol was the only individual building composite Crazy 8's. He stopped due to it's effect on his health. Without a air handling system
    the materials are unhealthy at best.

20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    GR Aero Tech Cabinets are Carbon Fiber you can take a look at them on their site. They make ultra light cabinets there is a 2x8 in their line. I've not personally played one. A few TB players have purchased the 110.

AT-208-Side.png