1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Douglas WOB 826 or Rogue LX406

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceedj, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ceedj

ceedj

Feb 14, 2009
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Since NYS screwed me out of my EIC (thanks Gov'ner!), I've decided to make the jump to a cheap six with the cash I DID get. Narrowed it to these two:

Douglas: http://www.rondomusic.com/product1623.html
    About $200 shipped

Rogue Scratch N Dent: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=519246X
    $179, free shipping

The Douglas has soapbars, and a super cool trans-blue finish. The Rogue has dual singles, and one review said it could only use one pickup or the other. I could likely rewire it. It has an active/passive push/pull knob; the Douglas does not, though I could likely add that as well if I wanted to. The Douglas is 34" scale, while the Rogue is 35" scale. I REALLY like the D'Addario half wounds on my 4 (BEAD), but they don't offer a 35" six set.

I'm seriously leaning toward the Douglas though. Thoughts?

Thanks! :D

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Rogue is roughly equivalent to one of the Korean Brice basses from Rondo. It's probably a nominally better bass than the Douglas you're looking at. Both would probably be perfectly competent instruments, with similar construction and materials.

I would ignore that review, it makes absolutely no sense for any bass to ever be wired in that fashion - most likely user error.

My money would be on the Rogue, I think the body shape of that Douglas is hideous.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I just picked up a used Rouge 8 string, and it is built well for being a $200 instrument.

G

4. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    My preference would be the Douglas. Rondo Music has always been a treat for me to deal with and I love their products. I personally like the Douglas body shape over the Rogue and also prefer the blue. Plus the Douglas is brand new, the Rogue is in a 'scratch and dent' sale...that scares me a little.

5. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    When I was looking for a six string bass I actually considered each of these options. I was more serious about the Douglas.

Looking at them again, I think I'd go with the Rogue. I liked the 3 band EQ, 35" scale, and the body shape. I'm sure the Douglas would be fine. I prefer soapbar over the Jazz style pickups and, from what I've read about the Douglas here on TB, the preamp is pretty good.

6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have one of these now: http://www.rondomusic.com/product748.html and I used to have one of these in red without the Bubinga: http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb40635.html.

I can't really speak for the Rogue, so I will ASSUME that the Rogue and the HXB406 are similar (although the HXB has soapbar pups and only has a 2 band pre). I always liked my WOB826 more than the HXB406. It was easier to handle and the tone was nicer, so much nicer that I didn't mind the fact that I couldn't play it passive.

Nothing in the differences you list on the Rogue are significant enough for me to say I would rather have it than the WOB. In fact, I found the cost of 35" 6 string sets prohibitive (I normally use Webstrings, but they don't make 6 string 35" sets) and saw no real benefit to the longer scale (the B on my WOB is taut enough).

7. Rogue!

8. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I've owned both the Rogue six and eight stringers. Both were decent for the money.

9. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    This is an interesting perspective. I didn't think of the limitations of string selection. They make Lo Riders that fit my 6 string Brice Defiant, which is what I wanted to begin with. I'd like some flats but I don't know what to get as far as 6 string set that fits 35" scale. I'm fine with the DRs though.

I'll say that my main complaint about the Brice is that the preamp is very, very noisy. I was aware of this when I bought it used, but I was not expecting it to be that bad. It feels awesome, though. I also like the looks a lot more. I've started playing it passive. I haven't amped it like that to see if it cuts the noise, but hopefully it does.

10. ceedj

ceedj

Feb 14, 2009
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Hey dabbler, glad you wrote; I've noticed a few posts by you on this model. What kind of strings do you use? The only thing that really concerns me is the increased tension the half-wounds are going to give it. How was the fit and finish when you got it? Any really noticeable issues? I'd be ok with a general setup, but I'm a bit iffy on any possible fretwork I may have to do. Also, I have a p-copy, similar in specs to the SPB-62. How big is the difference in neck size and string spacing? I'd try a six around here but our local store doesn't seem to have any. Thanks for reading my barrage of questions. :)

Thanks to everyone else that wrote as well; looks to be about a 50/50 split so far. It probably seems kind of "vain", but that trans-blue color and gold trim hardware is really tipping me to the Douglas. I'm gonna hold off on ordering until Friday, so please, more opinions are very welcome. :)

11. ceedj

ceedj

Feb 14, 2009
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Yeah, that's kind of tipping me towards the Douglas as well. They have 34" in the half rounds I like, but I'd have to buy a "5" set of Super Longs and a separate "C" for the 35". Or maybe not; the Half's I have now don't have the fabric coating on them; maybe I could get away with that? :confused:

12. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    By "this" model, I assume that you mean the WOB? I use Webstrings Medium Nickels (http://webstrings.com/electric_bass_strings_detroit-nickel.html). Honestly, the WOB required less setup than most of my basses, biggest thing I had to do was tighten the truss rods (there are 2) 1/4 turn or so.

I'm not the best person to ask on fit and finish, because at Rondo prices, if it ain't cracked, scratched down to the wood or visibly dented, I can probably deal with it. It is a nice looker and there were no major issues with it. Then again, this was bought from the store, so I actually had played it before buying.

String spacing is close, and the neck is thinned enough that, if you are comfortable on say a Jazz 5er, it will feel pretty good. As a matter of fact, that is probably another thing to be aware of, some people demand wide (19mm) spacing on all of their basses. My Brice Z6 is wide spaced, and I'm not really acclimated to it, the WOB feels good.

13. ceedj

ceedj

Feb 14, 2009
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Hey dabbler, yes, I meant the WOB. Thanks so much for the insight; your post pushed me over the edge, and I pulled the trigger and ordered it (along with some strings and and a case - free shipping elsewhere! Wooo!). So if I hate it, it's your fault!

Nah, just kidding, if its not what I want, I'll send it back and get a fiver. But I have a feeling I'm gonna enjoy the poop out of this thing. :)

Thanks everyone for your opinions; I'll post again when I get it in. I'm guessing Wed/Thurs next week. :D

EDIT: Hmmm, looks like the Rogue is gone anyway. I think I made the right choice here.

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I like your attitude! I sometimes hesitate giving opinions on instruments because, well, one player's dream is another players piece of crap. I at least hope that you find that I didn't misrepresent anything, but if you don't like it, I will be really anxious to hear your reasons why.

Looking forward to your pics and review and waiting with my fingers crossed. :cool:

15. ceedj

ceedj

Feb 14, 2009
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Ok, got it, aside from the poopy strings that came with it (my half rounds and case are arriving tomorrow), I HEART THIS BASS. What was really weird was pulling it out of the packaging and being slightly (maybe more) intimidated by the neck. But I put it on and man oh man, I can TOTALLY see the possibilities with this thing. Neck is about the same thickness as my Cort P-copy, but the width forces me to use a more "proper" thumb position, behind the neck as opposed to hanging around the fretboard as I sometimes do. I only got to play it for about 20 mins before work, but I have the next two days off to frolic with it. I DID notice immediately that since my Cort is tuned BEAD, 2 things:

1) Having played that way for a few weeks, the B string was not a hindrance at all.

2) I missed that G-string much more than I thought. :D

I have a feeling I will scare people if I audition with this, but I don't really care. I likes. A LOT.

Ok, couple of pics; when I get the new strings on and do a proper setup, I'll do a "real" review with some more pics (I'll open up the electronics, etc.)

cj_new_bass.

rig_new_bass.

Quickie question, providing it doesn't vary TOO much from pickups to pickups, if I leave the EQ's (bass and tone) notched in the middle, is that more or less "passive"? I think it is; I'm thinking I'll cut the tone and add just a hair of bass to make it sound like my Cort.

Whew, off to have fun now! And drinks! :bassist::hyper:

16. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Congrats Ceed! And I envy you having 2 days off to enjoy your new baby! As for it sounding passive when set "flat", umm, not quite. I have an SJB with an Audere, and THAT pre is so transparent as to sound like a passive, but to me the WOB always sounds a little "pushed", sorry I can't really describe it any better than that. Then again maybe it's because when I think passive I'm looking for J-tone.

But go ahead and play with the tone controls, there's a lot of good sounds to be had. I'm glad you like it, and I had the same experience with the neck making me put my thumb where it belongs (I have bad habits from playing guitar).

The blue looks nice on you! And thanks for not making us wait on the pics! :cool:

17. ceedj

ceedj

Feb 14, 2009
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Thanks dabbler! JUST got the new strings in. There was a horrible buzz on the second fret (all strings) on the stock set, so I anticipated having to adjust the truss rods. Nope, other than filing the "B" slot open a bit (D'Adarrio Half Wounds - .130-.30), and re-glue the nut, everything now plays about a gajillion times better. Really, as much as I liked it before, I HEART IT EVEN MORE NOW! What a difference. Even the intonation is only a hair off on the D and E, everything else sounds nice and in tune.

As for the EQ, I'll have to give the strings a few days to "muck up a bit", but I think running with the tone nearly/completely off and the bass up a bit, it's pretty close to my P. I have to pick a bit closer to the neck than I am used to, or it starts sounding a bit TOO Jazz-like. Nothing wrong with that, just not my thing.

This thing is a STEAL at $179. Gonna e-mail Kurt later with a bunch of thanks. :D

And thanks again to the TB'ers for all the helpful hints and advice throughout. Rock on peeps!