1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dov Schmidt

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sargebaker, Apr 25, 2010.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Has anyone had any experience dealing with Dov? The few testimonials I've heard seem relatively positive. I'm curious about the actual quality of the items he sells. I'm looking to stock up on tools over the summer and Dov has quite a few seemingly interesting things at good prices: bending iron, knives, calipers, reamers etc etc.

I'm especially curious about his finger planes: http://www.dov-music.com/products.asp?id=20&pg=2 which are by far cheaper than any others I have found. The website says made in Italy but the price does not seem to reflect that... and they look suspiciously similar to the chinese ones found on Ebay/elsewhere on line.

So does anyone have experience with Dov Schmidt?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    sand cast holders, and median grade steels just from the quick reference I did. Seem to be pretty decent jumping off point for the beginner, and easy to replace the steels with higher grade as your ability progress.

3. bingyi

bingyi

May 2, 2010
    Mr Dov selling only Chinese low money productions.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    You joined to make this post? What's your angle?