Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Down to two-Cirrus 5 or Bongo 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Feb 5, 2005.

Bongo or Cirrus

Poll closed Feb 12, 2005.
  1. Bongo

52 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Cirrus

58 vote(s)
    51.8%
  3. Other-Specify

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I have been doing some research, and I think I am finally ready to move up to a higher quality bass to have as my main bass.
    So which would you guys prefer? I am leaning towards the Bongo, but I really like the Cirruses.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Two great basses, but (to me) the Bongo wins. Whatever works for you!

3. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    voted cirrus.

there's just something about that peavy sound when you get more aggressive on the strings.

oh and bongos are hideous to the senses :bag:

4. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    also voted cirrus, great bass

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't see how either choice could be bad. I chose the Cirrus because I understand its electronics better and I think I like its looks a bit better, although Bongos are super cool.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I vote for the Cirrus.
    However, I had the chance to play a HH Bongo and I think
    it´s at the same level. You won´t go wrong with any of them.

7. Ive never played a Cirrus that was even close to either of my Bongos. My local dealer has a ton of Cirrus basses, and they are great. Just not as great as a Bongo.

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I've played and loved Cirrus and Bongo 4's, but I wasn't too hot on the Bongo 5 that I played. The Cirrus seems more of a fancy, high end, usable in every situation kinda bass. They have 35' scale so I'd assume it has a tighter B string (even though that's just an assumption, you don't have to give me the "scale length doesn't matter" speech ;)). I'd get the Cirrus - and in fact I will be very soon! :D

9. wow, I must say I'm kinda shocked the bongo is losing so badly...

10. They certainly aren't hideous to the ears though, and that is the most important :) The bongo look definately grew on me.

11. proc83

proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    BONGOOOOOOO all the way

12. I voted for the Cirrus for a couple of reasons but mainly for the playabilty of the neck. The Bongo's are pretty cool though, I really dig the new stealth paint job!

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Bongo, tone, style, versatility out the yin yang! Although I can't comment on the Bongo B. I wasn't impressed by the feel of the Cirrus I played, but the B was nice and toight.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can't lose, either way. Spend a lot of time with both of them, and then pick the one that you like best.

I own a Cirrus 6. Awesome bass. Plays and sounds great. Fit & finish is also great. I have come close to trading it a couple of times, but then decided to take it to church and on a gig 'one last time'. Each time that has happened, I decided the bass is just too great to sell or trade.

I would love to own a Bongo HH, too. And someday, I probably will.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +1

I've been playing a Cirrus for abut 2 years now and I love it. It's perfect for me (I like the 35" 4 string on the Cirrus) but I checked out a Bongo for the first time a few days ago and it is a VERY different instrument. Research is all well and good, but until you've played each of them you'll never know which is right for you.

16. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Bongo has my vote.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, though I've only played the Bongo 5. Never imagined the 4 would be that diff! Anyway, I was all set to fall in love with the Bongo, 'cause I liked a lot of stuff about it... right down to the looks, but then I played a couple at a NAMM show, and I just couldn't seem to get tones I was really happy with out of it... yep, played both the HH and the HS(?) models. For me, no soap. Lost my GAS for one.

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    dunno what the stats were when you posted this, but the Cirrus is only an edge ahead right now, which is what I'd expect. Both are great basses, but very different in tone and feel. IMHO, the Cirrus' sound a lot more defined, and the action and neck profile are a lot better/"faster". The Cirrus is also lighter and thinner, making it more comfy to hold.

19. proc83

proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    The reason I bought a bongo was because...i hit the E string and felt what i thought was a small earthquake...and because I could completely change the sounds of it using the dials. It's so versatile, and cmon... with a 18v preamp this thing exudes power.

20. Chingachgook

Chingachgook Guest

Aug 13, 2003
    Hm i bought a used Cirrus 5 some weeks ago and yes, im content but the flaw of my personal cirrus is the h string. its not very defined and imho the string needs a long time to "swing in". the cirrus of my teacher is more defined at this point. misfortune? i dont know ...

due to never played a bongo i cannot compare ... but i like the look!