DP customs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Mar 11, 2005.

1. http://www.dpcustom.com/index.html

I found this custom luthier today, and I was so amazed to see the prices!!!! Does anybody have any expireance with these? I'm really looking into getting one. :hyper:

I just did calculations on how much my bass would be if I get it from DP. It will be a tad bit below 1 grand!!!! :eek:
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

no, but I've read MANY threads on them... try searching (I know DP and Custom makes it hard. Try "Pushic" maybe)
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Just went to their site and looked at some of the reviews. One of them was from Jorg Schroeder.
  4. Reading the reviews from here, they seem to have building issues. Hmmmm, guess I'm gonna have to think about it. :meh:
  5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    This is very good advice, particularly in this instance. There really seems to be a wide range of opinions on these basses, based on the TB comments.

I have played two of them a little bit, one 4 & one 5, and they were both very cool basses .... well built and excellent range of tone (both had barts). I have very seriously considered getting a fretless 7 built, but then I keep on seeing this split decision here on TB. I'd hate to wait 6-8 months only to be disappointed. I'd like to see a few more opinions with a bit more substantial comments. :bag:
  6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Very nice looking bass! So what is your impression so far with respect to build quality and sound? I was thinking of getting a six from DP, but then I played a Roscoe and got serious GAS.

7. rculver00

Sep 22, 2003
    Build quality: B-

Sound: A-

8. The review I posted related to a 6 string DP custom I've bought used locally. After setting it up to my likings (the bass obviously had hardly been played by his prior owner) I was pleasantly surprised about the sound I've got out of it live.
    At that time I wasn't aware of the mixed reactions and posts here on TB, and was therefore non-biased. Taking under consideration the amount I've paid for this bass and the sound I was able to get out of it I ordered a 6 string fretless. Dave is a very helpful guy and we worked something out. Yes, there are a few nicks on the fretted bass, i.e. the fret ends were pretty sharp (which I fixed within 30 minutes) and the surface had a couple of flaws.
    The fretless took Dave ~ 15 months to finish; it is a pretty nice instrument, especially taken under consideration that it doesn't cost too much. Equivalence between money and crafsmanship?? I would say that Dave's work has improved a lot and at least the two basses I have from him are worth the money I've spent. Again, I can only comment about the 2 DPs I own and cannot vouch for any other DP model; but that's just my 2 cents to this issue.