1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Dragon Skins & Conductive Coated Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mmbongo, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Carrying on a discussion from another thread..I think this deserves its own thread.

Discussing the conductivity of coated strings, it was stated by Roger Sadowsky that D'Addario EXP and Cleartone coated strings were the only conductive coated strings out there (meaning that they ground when you touch them since the bridge is grounded....unless you have EMG pickups).

I recently checked my DR Dragon Skins and they ARE conductive coated strings. I use them on my Lakland and my Warwick and are some of the best strings I've used. Bonus that they are coated AND conductive.

And as a side note, as you can see in the pictures, the Dragon Skin Acoustic strings are also conductive.

So if you want a nice stainless steel coated string that's conductive, give Dragon Skins a try. www.bassstringsonline.com has the best price on them.

Open circuit:
    [​IMG]

Dead Short:
    [​IMG]

Proof is in the packaging!
    [​IMG]

Acoustic Dragon Skins also conductive:
    [​IMG]

svtb15 and AEVAREX like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Science!

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I missed the first part of the thread. Why is conductivity important? Grounding? Nice Fluke meter BTW.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have never had a coated string cause my bass to hum, but my basses don't hum when there are no strings on it.

Is this because your bass does have RF interference and since they aren't grounded you get RF hum constantly even when you are playing/touching the strings? If that is the case, why not just shield your bass?

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well this is basically what got the discussion started:
    http://vpub.boyd-printing.com/display_article.php?id=1115676

I've never had a coated string cause hum either, and I currently use DR Black Beauties on my Roscoe which are not conductive strings. Zero hum. Might be a problem with other brands, but it's not a problem with my Warwick, Spectors, Roscoe, or Laklands.

6. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Rockford, IL
    When you buy Black Beauties, what gauge do you go with? I went through three packs of medium gauge and the G-string was dead in all of them.

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    45-130. Last set had a dead A string and I have had a few dead G strings from BB's as well as Neons and Dragon Skins. DR always takes care of them though. I keep a spare set handy in case of dead strings. It's a tradeoff, as there's just no other string quite like DR.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've been thinking about adding a splash of color to my very, very black bass.
    image.
    The problem is, the jazz pup is a bit noisy.

So, the dragon skins are conductive, but the other coated/colored DRs are not? Bassstringsonline separates DR coated strings into three categories:
    1)Dragon skins, which are apparently conducive but don't come in colors.
    2) K3 extra life which include black beauties, cool blues and Red Devils
    3) Neons, which include all the wacky colors.

I think blue would look cool, but I don't want added noise from non-conductive strings. So are the cool blues conductive like the dragon skins? Are the neons?

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    K3 and Neons are the same thing, just different colors. None are conductive. Dragon Skins are the only ones that are conductive.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Figured as much.

mmbongo likes this.
  11. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    May not be what you need colour- or tone-wise, but current D'Addario Reds (copper-plated steel roundwounds) are EXP-coated:
    expreds_keithr.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've played and liked the reds, but I kinda want blue strings for this one. It's fine. Steel colored is good enough for me.

13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Got it.
    I still wonder about Aurora strings, which also come in (sundry) colours, re:conductive coating. I'm not sure if they were considered, or even around yet, by Sadowsky for his article.

Actually, I'm not even sure what material they're covered in.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

By "jazz pickup is a bit noisy" I'm guessing you mean it is a single coil that gets 60hz noise. Your choice of strings will have no impact on this.

If your bass gets RF interference/has a hum when you don't touch the strings then you will get added noise with non-conductive/coated strings. If this is the case a proper shielding job will silence the bass regardless of string choice.

D'addario stopped making BXP reds by the way. I liked them but I had a student who loved them, I tried to order him a set recently and couldn't. I have a set of Auroras on hand, that same student also ordered a couple sets, I have yet to try them though.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No, I know. The noise goes away when I touch the strings but I don't want to get the shielding done. I can't do it myself and I don't wanna pay for it.

I'll leave it alone regardless. I don't like the feel of coated strings anyway. I can live without blue strings.

16. DiabolusInMusic

Fair enough but you can definitely do it yourself. If I can do it, you can do it. It is cheap and easy, even paying for it shouldn't run you more than $40.

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Right. I can do it, but I don't know how. I'm sure I have the ability to.

It's maybe $40 in Saskatchewan. Everything is ridiculously expensive where I live.

18. DiabolusInMusic

TB is always there to walk you through the process, there are multiple good guides on the site. :) ;)