1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Hi-Beams vs D'addario Prosteels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Shibby!, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Shibby!

Shibby!

Jan 8, 2009
    i'm looking for
    A). the brightest sound i don't care it it is too the point of being harsh
    B). The longest lasting tone

2. gagauz

gagauz

Oct 21, 2008
    Moscow
    DR is better

3. Shibby!

Shibby!

Jan 8, 2009
    so would they be brighter than the d'addarios?

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i found prosteels and the old prisms to be some of the brightest strings i've ever tried

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Yeah I loved the old Prisms..they were killer bright SS strings...I havent tried Prosteels but I am sure they are bout the same as the Prisms....but I did find some I liked even better... Dean Markley SR2000's...great tone, bright and last quite a long time..they have been my favorite string since the Prisms

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    ProSteels seem to go dead faster for me than DR HiBeams.

7. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Get some alcohol wipes, like the kind you're given with wings or ribs.
    +
    Eat chicken and ribs, WASH YOUR HANDS, and your strings WON'T go dead for a while.
    +
    Beware of sodium's effect on your tendency to sweat.
    +
    D'addario Prosteels suit me just fine. Although stainless, they seem to feel smoother rather quickly after a few gigs.
    +
    Prosteels because of the lower price and stock on hand at the local GC.
    +
    I clean and rotate two sets of these for six months at a time, or, every two oil changes of the car.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I like Pro Steels better because I like their low B strings better. And the price doesn't hurt. As far as any steel string lasting longer I sure don't see any big diff. A lot more variance once you get into nickel and its tendency to interact with body chemistry.

9. I would think one thread on this topic would be enough.

Both DR Hi-Beams and D'Addario ProSteels are bright but the Hi-Beams accent the upper mids while the D'Addarios accent the Low mids. Depends on your bass which ones will sound better. And both last the same length of time IMO.

10. the DR's have a really rough texture. the prosteels dont. i found the steels to be brighter, but the DR's lasted a lot longer.

personally, id go with elixir to get the best of both worlds.

11. i have used both i liked DR's much better they lasted a lot longer as in their brightness lasted a lot longer than the prosteels

12. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    DR's are really really bright sounding and i still have the zing after a good 4 months and it doesnt seem to be goin dull .... they are a bit rough on the fingers but you get used to it quick nothing too bad

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    DRs are my favorite on my Rickenbacker for that super bright tone. I have Dunlop 45's on them right now and I'm actually liking their sound as well but they are not as bright. I've tried almost every bass string out there :rolleyes:

14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    WOW. Highbeams, rough on your fingers?? This just goes to sho' ya that on the internet not only sonic perception is different, feel is too. I found the Highbeams to be very similar in feel to the Sunbeams I use on fretless (iow, very smooth), while the Prosteels were like playing on 80 grit sandpaper.

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    No, the hi-beams are a tad rough when they are brand spanking new.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    FWIW, I've tried three models of DR strings thus far: nickel Lo-Riders, stainless steel Lo-Riders and FatBeams. Each one has been noticeably smoother than any other string of its type (nickel rounds or steel rounds) that I've ever played. And both models of steel DRs are far smoother than any other stainless steel roundwound I've ever played... :meh:

MM

17. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I've used both, and DR Hi-Beams are much better strings IMO.

However, IME nothing lasts as long as Elites SS.

18. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    What are the discernible differences between the nickel Lo-Riders and the stainless steel Lo-Riders?

19. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    IMO, the Pro Steels are more comparable to the Fat Beams than the Hi Beams. Personally I didn't like the Hi Beams at all. All clang, no beef. Couldn't get any low-end anything out of the set I had...

I think the Pro Steels are pretty decent, and I wouldn't turn away a set of stainless Lo-Riders. In fact my second bass (which stays home and serves as a practice instrument for non-standard tunings) has an old dead set of Lo-Riders on it. Its a pretty clean, vintage tone...

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Hope you don't mind my reply coming three and half years late (I never checked back on the thread after my comment)...

Actually, I tried the nickel Lo-Riders only once and didn't keep them very long. I found their tone to be a little dull & lifeless, kind of nondescript. I was actually surprised, as I'd read nothing but raves about them from other players. It's possible that my expectations had changed since the last time I'd used nickel strings - GHS Boomer B-52s & Dean Markley nickel rounds, both of which are pretty bright & cutting for nickels.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting much from the steel Lo-Riders, as most steel strings I'd played previously (i.e. GHS Super Steels) had led to some pretty disastrous experiences, i.e. too much upper mid "clackiness" & "clanginess", not enough low mid "phatness" & warmth, etc.). But to my surprise, the steel Lo-Riders actually sounded musical - with typical steel crispness & cut, but with a pleasant kind of smooth, phat warmth as well. I might describe them as the best characteristics of nickel strings (with few of their drawbacks), plus the best characteristics of steel strings (with few of their drawbacks either).

Hope that helps... :meh:

MM