1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR lo-rider stainless or the nickel?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pellotsalo, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Pellotsalo

Pellotsalo

Apr 28, 2008
    Hi! I am buying new strings for my bass (sandberg pm5) and I am between dr lo-rider stainless and the nickel one. I have never try the nickel ones before..should I try? I am playing rock-pop. Does the dr lorider nickel works with rock also?
    Thanks!
    Jaakko

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The nickel ones have a little less zing, but they sound very similar to the stainless version. I also thought the nickel was much easier on the picking fingers. But, if I you ask me to pick based solely on absolute best tone, I would go with the stainless. But, rest assured, the nickel still sound plenty good for any style where you would use rounds.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've played both versions of these strings. Both are just fine - you can't go wrong either way.

As to which one you would prefer, that'll be a matter of personal taste. "Rock" tone means different things to different people, so you'll just have to experiment and see for yourself... :meh:

I personally found the nickel version to be a little too subdued for my taste, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the stainless steels are warmer than one would expect from steels - so I prefer those. YMMV...

MM

4. I love Lo-Riders! Fretted or fretless, they work fine for me.

5. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I like stainless - they are brighter - however the nickel are softer, so if you are going to be in the studio, you might want a softer string, unless you use a pick.