1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Marcus Miller Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Muusers, Dec 20, 2006.

1. What are the pros and cons of these strings? What are they best used for (slapping, fingering etc.)? How long do they last on average?:help:

2. These are the best strings available! They sound just perfect for any musical style. You will find it out especially in the studio situation. They last longer than the "usual" d'Addario or GHS etc. strings. And the playability is also top-notch. Just go with them, they're the best!!!

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    awesome strings. great balance, even the E is really bright. tight bass, superb mids and the exact treble you need for a marcus miller slap sound. but not brittle or anything.

my 1st choice for my 4 string. will try them on the 6 soon.

btw, i play the 40-100 set, relatively low tension but still very tight sound. great playabilty.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Been using them for a year now, i really like them, they sound bright, i know it's not for everyone, but i love the bright sound. Put a new set on today and replaced 105 with 125... so it's 125, 85, 65, 45 so far loving it. :)

They last pretty long time, only reason i needed to replace them is because my tuning pegs snapped and i lost the old strings somewhere in my room. Now i got new tuning pegs so i just went out and got new set of strings too.

I personally love the slap on these strings, fingering is not too bad either.

As far as cons, Sometimes a little hard to find around here in local stores, but i keep extra set at my house in case something happens and i need them quick. Don't want to wait week to get em in mail.

5. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    ksergs E string must heve been a foul one. my .100 E was nearly as bright as the others, unlike the competition like d'addario, etc.

6. what about tapping, hammer on/pull off, sustain, picking?

7. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    all great. really consider the 40-100 set, a breeze for slapping, tapping, bending and the like. that's pretty much my "jazz/funk session show off" setup.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I think it's still pretty bright for a .125 ...However IMO not even close to what .105 was brightness wise. It's pretty deep. I am still getting used to it, not sure if i am keep the setup this way or not. Just doing it for fun, to see what happens. :)

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A little bit stiffer and bassier than hi-beams, a little more flexible and better mids than lo riders. Its a good compromise between those sets. Really snappy.

The B strings on all DR sets are OK ... not the best, but not the worst. E-G are perfection, for me.

They (DRs, collectively) last longer than any other strings I've used, they still loose that "just strung up" ring/zing after a few days (just like any roundwound) ... but once they are broken in they keep that sound and stay true and focussed for months.

I still prefer Hi-beams.

10. BassBiggieD

BassBiggieD

Dec 19, 2006
    i use them... i love them

great for everything as everyone else has said

11. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    Great strings, used them before I switched to DR Black Beauties