1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Nickel Lo-Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Mar 27, 2013.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm pretty familiar with Hi-Beams and Sunbeams, how would you compare Nickel Lo-Riders.

I'm aware of the basics (hex vs. round core, expecting them to be a little higher in tension, etc). Looking more for sound differences.

I'd be running these on a P bass.

Thanks guys :bassist:

2. This is something I'm interested in finding out as well.

I'm currently in a market for a new P bass and the DR Nickel Lo-Riders are at the top of my shopping list of strings to try out with the P.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know about the nickels, but the feel and tone of the steel loriders are fantastic. I'm a big fan of high tension/stiff strings that work well with super low action. I'd imagine the nickels are great, just easier on the fingers and frets.

4. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Tension is def higher on the lo-riders. Sound wise, I found the lo riders to be brighter sounding out of the box and also stay brighter longer than sunbeams. I've read the opposite opinion as well so it's def in the ear of the beholder. I kept lo-riders on my P5 while I had it (helped low B tension on 34 scale) but like sunbeams on my P4 fwiw.

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yes, higher tension. A little more mid emphasis with nickel lo-riders IMO. I use them on my P, they break in nice and last a while.

6. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I think I may have paid way too much for a new (but on the shelf too long) set of nickel low riders once. Nearly $40.00 down the drain. I took them off within a couple days. Just plain hated the tone. They had absolutely nothing on the D'Addario strings I was using at the time. I felt like I was ripped off.

7. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    To each his own. I think Nickel Lo-Riders have an amazing sound and are my #1 go to for round wounds on a standard scale bass. I have light sets on a four string (finger style / slap) and a five string (finger style) that are going on two years old and they still satisfy completely. :)

8. TwoRivers

TwoRivers

Aug 26, 2012
    Las Cruces, NM
    I've used stainless and nickel lo-riders. Loved both sets, and the sound between the two wasn't too different. I play a fender jazz bass and found the strings added some note defenition in the lows and mids. They are a higher tension string, which I prefer. If you haven't tried them before, I don't think you have anything to loose...definately a string worth trying.

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI