1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dragonfire Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zeppelinbass95, Apr 15, 2009.

1. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    I have seen very few thread mentioning these pickups. I was thinking about putting them in an SX fretless bass. For the price how do they sound? Would it sound good for jazz-ish stuff?

2. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
  3. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had them in a bass, I had custom built but didn't have the money at the time to do my usual EMG J/Preamp thing, but wanted to get the bass finished so I bought a set and had the builder install them...they were good...better than stock Mexi fender I thought...Not as nice as Nordstrands or Dimarzio's I have tried, and they certainlly didn't get that really "vintagey" jazz bass tone, but they were focused and had decent output, clarity and and some guts...and again keep in mind I am a die hard active pickup fan, unless its my 66 jazz...its the only one I own that isn't hotrodded with actives...so I would tend to be very critical of a passive pickup in general...but for $30 how can you lose?? way better than the stock SX pickups...(which other than not having much output I didn't think sounded to bad either)

4. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    bump