Dream Theatre

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Hey everyone, are there any Dream theatre fans out there? Especially John Myung? I love their very tight sound.

2. bassbrother666

bassbrother666

Feb 13, 2013
    monster fan, myung got me to play the bass , ALTHOUGH i think that he is a bit of petrucci's shadow, especially in the latest recordings (excluding ADToE) , i think that from the bass point of view , images, awake, WDaDU and FII were the best albums :D

3. WalWarrior

WalWarrior

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    Myung with the Tung, best combination for the DT bass sound to date.

4. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Yup! it's Theater ending in er though ;) They've mentioned in interviews that the common misspelling irritates them. JM's a badass though!

5. One of the many genres i listen to is prog... I listen to a lot of DT love the stuff, just wondering what Mangini has come up with on the new album :)

6. I used to really like DT and similar prog metal - now my tastes have changed and I just can't stomach it anymore. Never really like Myung's tone though...

7. SeanO34

SeanO34

Mar 19, 2013
    Scotland, UK
    Yup, huge DT fan! Can't wait for new album, wasnt crazy on aDToE but hopefully new album will get back to it :) got a 6er because of Myung! Favourite album has got to be Metropolis Pt2: Scenes From A Memory!!!

8. Loved his tone on Awake & FII. I thought once MP & JP started producing he lost some edge in the band. Did like tone on the last cd, ADToE.
    I may get beat up on this observation, but I'll throw it out there. I didn't enjoy the writing as much once MP & JP started producing and thought John Myung's parts suffered as the songs didn't allow him to breathe within the structure of the songs. I thought ADToE resolved that somewhat and I'm hoping he'll be unshackled more on the new one due soon.

9. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I think you'll find a good number of DT fans here. Only the "genre" snobs will b dismissive of them.

10. All sounds great guys! I can't believe I'm 52 years old and only just now getting into them! Well I guess better late than never.

11. .... Liquid tension experiment are also AWESOME.... along with planet X

12. bassbrother666

bassbrother666

Feb 13, 2013
    well if you are now getting into them i think that we may recommend some albums :D i vote in scenes or awake or images :D

13. SeanO34

SeanO34

Mar 19, 2013
    Scotland, UK
    I completely agree about recommending some albums for the OP, but... He'll end up with a huge list of them all anyway since they have such a wide discography... My vote?? Scenes from a memory and Octavarium (that was the album that got me into them) happy discovering! You've got a lot to listen to :)

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I am huge Dream Theater fan (They are American not British/Canadian) and I have seen them a few times now, although admittedly I stopped listening after the Mike Portnoy incident, they are not the same without him. For starters they now tour just one set list, before you could catch them every night of the week and expect a new set list. Mike just cared about the fans a lot more than the rest of them.

As far as albums go, my favourite is definitely Scenes from a Memory but I am a concept album fan.

15. bassbrother666

bassbrother666

Feb 13, 2013
    well i see and totally understand your point of view, but don't you forget that it WAS Portnoy who did and arranged all that: the setlists etc ...so i think it is a little difficult for petrucci to replace in 2/3 years what Mike had been doing for more than 25 years :confused:

16. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Don't forget Jelly Jam & Transatlantic.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Not for a second. I mean, sure he might end up using the same set in a city that they have seen before, Mike kept all the old set lists and made sure no show was identical in any city. The current line up just tours one set list, it would be extremely easy for them to swap out at least a couple songs here and there. Even lesser bands will change out songs from date to date. Unless they no longer practice their entire repertoire and only practice what they plan to tour, I still expect it. You set a standard you should maintain that standard.

If anything Mangini would be the reason for touring one set list, but there is no way he couldn't be up to snuff on at least a few discs worth of material by this point.

Liquid Tension is basically DT since Dimebag had to bail, they used it to court Jordan Rudess from the Dixie Dregs but Jelly Jam, OSI, and Transatlantic are all various side projects that only 1 current member was involved in at the time. Kevin (the original keys player) did OSI with Portnoy though. Speaking of Transatlantic, Mike is doing something currently with Neal Morse but I cannot remember what the name is. I love old Spock's Beard but once Neal found jesus I stopped following Neal, and Spock's Beard.

18. Thanks again everyone. I picked up the 5 disc box set supposedly only distributed in England, and it is fantastic! I found it on Amazon for the sick price of $20 with shipping!! I figured it was a good place to start, and couldn't be happier so far.

19. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah - fan here our band plays some of their stuff - Ytse Jam, Metropolis part I, Dance of Eternity, One Last Time. Great stuff and fun to play.

20. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    What's "Tung"?