Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Driver Options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doodaddy, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I'm planning out the bass cabinents I plan on building soon. I'm thinking about a 1x15 and a 2x10 for my 5 string.

I'm plenty experienced with building cabs/boxes etc, just not planning for a bass guitar application, but that'll be a different thread once I decide on subs. ;).

I was thinking a Eminence Gamma 15 and two Delta 10's for a final 4 ohm impedence. But, I wanted some experienced suggestions before I decided. Thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Gamma 15 isn't bad for a cheap driver. But the Delta 15LF is far superior. The Delta 10 is OK provided you bi-amp or use a crossover to keep anything below 100 Hz out of them, otherwise the small xmax will cause problems. But if that's the case two Beta 8s would give far better HF extension and horizontal dispersion, assuming you do it the right way and align them vertically.

3. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I could cross them over at 100hz. :cool:

Given that I did that, how would the Delta LF extend up to 110hzish?

4. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Would 2 Delta's perform as well as the single Delta LF? They are relatively cheap on ebay and 2 are about the same price as the quote I got from Parts Express for the Delta LF ($96ish)

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    With the scope of your proposed project, I'd suggest you download a copy of WinISD (search for on google), or any other box design program you please, and see exactly what's going on. This is a good chance to do your homework and see immediate results, and the interface for WinISD is extremely intuitive if you're familiar with basic speaker terms and methods.

As for your last question, stick with the LF models as far as the Deltas go, especially when it 's for low frequency use. If you're only considering a 15, the Delta 12LFs are good also, long xmax, lowish box size, and you can get 2 for <$100 on ebay

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    To go further, with WinISD you can model out two Deltas versus one Delta LF in the same size box. When you do you'll see the single driver works better. It will take two Deltas to get the same displacement as one Delta LF. All things considered one LF is the better choice. Or two 12LFs if you have a low power amp and need the lower impedance.

The Delta 15 and Delta 15LF, or Delta 12 and Delta 12 LF, are similar in response to at least 1kHz, so if you cross over to a pair of Beta 8s anywhere below that- 300 Hz would be a good choice- the sound won't be much different. If you go with a 15 I'd put all in the same box, with the dual eights vertical to one side of the 15. Crossed at 300 comb filtering won't be a problem if you run at least a 2nd order crossover.

The best choice would be two Delta 12 LFs and two Beta 8s, all vertical, the 12s at the top and bottom of the line,the two 8s in between, which would give far better dispersion characteristics than any commercial cabinet that I'm aware of, and you could get away with a 1st order crossover as well.

7. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    The two 12's and 8's sound nice.

All in one cab? Hmmm. How would I go about planning that? Tuning the port is no problem, but which frequency tuning? It seems that with the 8's in the same enclosure as the 12's, the box would be too large and it wouldn't perform as well. Could you elaborate on this?

I'll be scanning ebay and such for the LF's and I'll just hit up Avatar or Parts Express for the Beta 8's since I doubt that's a highly popular pair to sell. :p

I was told in another thread that not crossing the subs/mids over would give it a "fuller, more live sound". I thought that would cause wierd cancellation and imaging problems from the different response's from the drivers. I'm all for the crossover. It just makes more sense. :) Any link to an example of that crossover?

Power shouldn't be an issue at this point. 1400 watts at 2 ohm mono. I'd really rather not run the amp at that impedence due to my lack of trust in the amp (Behringer 1500). It's a freebie untill I can get what I want.