Driver suggestions for a half-empty EBS 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Dec 4, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I recently got an ebs 4x10 cab with two blown drivers. On the upside, I got the cab for free :D

I contacted EBS, and they're selling replacement drivers for the low-low price of $200. each. Plus shipping (from Sweden). :eek:

So I'm thinking of loading it with either 4 new drivers, or 2 new ones plus the working EBS drivers. I've considered EBS cabs a bit bright, or brittle even, so it'd be nice to find a reasonably priced driver that's a bit smoother.

Guitar dorks do this sort of thing all the time, but I haven't heard much about bassists playing with drivers. Any suggestions? I'm talking about a ported cab here, not an open back guitar amp, so the drivers have to be similar to the EBS ones I'm replaceing for them to work well in the cab.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Bass players don't swap drivers much because the design of the cabinet is based on the design of the drivers being used. With a guitar box, they are open-back or closed-back and as big is as convenient. With bass cabs the volume and tuning, together with the driver choice, all work together to create a particular frequency response and maximum SPL, while keeping the driver from getting damaged.

You will find it easier to either get 2 more EBS drivers, or replace all 4; replacing half of them might be pretty unreliable.

What kind of drivers you put in the box depends on the internal cabinet volume, and how it is tuned. If you provide the size/number/depth of ports and cab volume I bet someone here will have a driver to recommend.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Have you considered having a local technician rebuilt the two blown drivers? I would expect you could get both done for around $200. $250 at the most.
  4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, that was my first thought as well, but the drivers that blew were some weird out-of-production Celestion PA drivers (gee.. wonder why they died :rolleyes: )

I'll get some measurements ASAP.