1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drop B - Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kyral210, Apr 14, 2009.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Hi

What would happen if I took an Epiphone Thunderbird and tuned it B-E-A-D.

Obviously I would fit the right gauge strings and a new nut. Would it sound wrong because its not as long a scale as 5 string basses?

:bassist:

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    The scale length would be the same as a 5 string bass (except the 35" scale basses) , however my experience is that some basses sound better tuned BEAD than others so keep the old nut if you do tune the bass BEAD

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    It would be awesome, thats what would happen! :D

4. ^^^^ This.

My Thunderbird is tuned to drop B (B-F#-B-E) and it sounds great.

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Doesn't the shorter scale make a difference?

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A lot of fivers are 34" scale, its fine, I have a Jazz in BEAD, works a treat, a Thunderbird should be no different.

7. Think the new T-bird pro 5 stringer is a 34"

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    So I can just go for it! Hmm, where can I get a white Thunderbird. Its just a shame the new Thunderbird Pro's are clear coat, I think they look so ugly! If they just released a solid white Epiphone Thunderbird pro I would buy it now! Even a solid black would do!

9. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    The normal epi Thunderbirds are supposed to be very nice for the money , ive owned a few epis (unfortunately not a Thunderbird though) and they make some very nice basses for not much money

10. sounds.. thunderous :D

although, you're tuning baritone, not drop B.

tim C tunes his american J's to BEAD these days.. so im sure you'll be fine if its set up properly.

you might experience a little slack in the strings due to the shorter scale, at least, i believe thats the agreed upon logic, but with thick enough strings, you should be fine.

doesnt shavo micalickahy whatever his name is from SoaD tune pretty low on a T-bird?

11. Hi.

As said, the scale lenght isn't a problem. Just get a .135 B and it shouldn't be too sloppy feeling.

The intonation however..

I do know that the Epi QC is sometimes a bit, well..., bad, but I' had a hell of a time intonating even the 110 E because of the lack of adjustment on the saddle. How did You manage to intonate the much larger string with the "oil rig"?

I'd try to intonate and setup a B-string first to find out if a bridge re-location is in order. Something I had to do with my BEAD Ibby SR.

Regards
    Sam

12. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Yeah, I was thinking this. The E string on my thunderbird is currently right back as far as it will go, so I am thinking I would need to move the bridge backwards about 10mm.

Has anyone done this before? Its it easy? Should I be scared? I am a designer and quite conifdent with woodwork, but I would want advice before I do anything like this!

13. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Shavo ODADJIAN tunes his basses mainly CGCF

14. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Sweet! :bassist:

15. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Look for a Dillion Thunderbird, they come in solid black and white, they are set-neck built in Korea, priced just a little more than an Epiphone. Great bass. ;)

16. right. that guy. i can never remember any of their last names.. armenian isnt a catchy language for a square ass white guy from the sticks.

but yea.. he gets down there, im sure the OP will be fine.

17. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The biggest advantage of that tuning is that nobody will ever want to play your bass.

18. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    People look at my 5 string and get scared!