Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drop d on the fly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rolnaldo33, Jul 5, 2004.

1. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    i play in drop d a whole bunch, and i know there are replacement tuner keys taht have a little lever on em taht you just flip and it tunes the 4th string down on the fly. i wanna get one but can anyone help me out in finding one?

2. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I know a company called Hipshot sells them (at least i think thats the company). My only real experience with them is those that come as an option on carvin basses.

I know theres gotta be quite a few people on here that use em.

3. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    yea i was shoppin around online at musiciansfriend.com and found a few fer a regular 6 string guitar but none fer bass that were hipshots, perhaps i should try hipshot.com, lol

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Do you need it midsong?

If not, just tune to the lowest string to A at the seventh fret.

Also, I realize the purpose of Dropped D on a guitar (one finger power chords). What is the purpose of a Dropped D tuned bass?

5. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    drop d on a bass helps you better simulate the tone of a 5 string as well as lets you do some really funky stuff with power chords, i wrote a song using drop d and in one part, yes it sounds crazy, but i can actually use all of the strings to almost make a chord.

6. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I have one on my G&L, and they work great. Hipshot (www.hipshotproducts.com) does have them for sale, under Bass Xtenders. Just make sure that you get the right kind for your specific bass...

7. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    It is for lower notes on a 4 string.

The tuners are made my Hipshot. If you shop around you can find them for about $50 and to match any tuners. I have these on two of my basses (I am awaiting my eBay seller to ship me my 5 string Grendel) and they work flawlessly. You can pop them up and down in the middle of a song and never have to worry about staying in tune.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

But, except for the lowest few which are added because of the tuning*, all the same power chords are available on a standard tuned bass.

*and also sound muddy and indistinct.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Drop D can come in handy if you are doing slap work on a song in the key of D which many songs are. I've use a Hipshot d-tuner in the past, they are interesting devices that require some care for them to stay in tune.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Get a five, or tune BEAD.

Also why just Dropped D and not just DGCF?

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I disagree. BEAD is not the same sound as dropped D tuning. The idea with dropped D is that you have the open D string with the traditional sound on the remaining strings.

Why not DGCF? This can be done, but it significantly lowers the tension on the strings. Personally I find it easier to play in dropped D for the 1 or 2 songs that I need it rather than leave the bass tuned DGCF. There really is a difference in feel and sound.

12. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    "Get a five?" Did you notice the part in my post where I mentioned I am waiting for the 5 string Grendel to arrive?

Just dropping E to D allows you to maintain most of the standard tuning under which most players probably learned to play, while picking up some extended range. This makes for an easy stop-gap measure whereby you do not have to completely re-learn the neck and/or completely reset your instrument to accomdate the different string set.

Some people do not have enough use for the extended range to make it worth the transition to 5 from 4. I did not previously, hence I had Hipshots. I now have a lot of use for the extended range, hence I am waiting for my 5 string to arrive.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Whatever floats your boat, I will stick with standard tuning.

14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    That's exactly the point. The original poster wasn't asking whether or not to do dropped D. They were asking how to do it.

15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That was how I interpreted it.

16. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Dude, you can get the hipshot tuners cheaper at Stewart McDonalds: www.stew-mac.com. I had one of a yamaha and it worked fairly well.

17. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    yea thats all good reason not to tune to DGCF, i totaly agree, plus its just a but load of work if ur doin a gig too, i'd just rather have two basses, but i suppose that could have been implied

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    And I did tell him, tune the seventh fret of the E string to A. :eyebrow:

:D

19. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    well isn't it just as easy to tune the 4th string to the 2nd, since the 2nd is a d to begin with

20. All of my 4's--except the Warwick Limited Edition (natch) have Hipshot Xtenders...a must!