1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop HELP!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by afireinside, Mar 7, 2008.

1. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok I have till 6pm tonght to get this lol new band (for me) wants to practice but after 12 years of guitar/bass I have never messed w/ drop tunings at all. Its a metal band.
    heres what they want:

Ok. Also, we play everything in either C, or Drop B(which is almost the same as C, just tune the low C, to B)

But for learning those songs, Sepultura - "Refuse/Resist" is in D(learn it like that, we'll play it just a half step lower, in C), and Black Sabbath - "Children of the Grave" is in C(which is what we'll play it in, obvisouly). Cool?

So in C they are 2 steps down on all strings? C-G-B-E? Then drop D they want me to tune down the low C another step down to B? So I have a active 5 string bass, or my 4 string Pbass. Would the 5 string work w/o drop tuning? whats your opinions?!?!?!? Im lost lol!

2. If it's a five string with a Low B string, then no detuning is necessary.

3. BNiedz13

BNiedz13

Mar 6, 2008
    Cumberland, RI
    Maybe bring both, tune the 4string to drop D and use the 5 string for the lower stuff. Just a thought.

4. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    thats what I was thinking thanks! So Drop d= E dropped to a D, the rest normal D-A-D-G correct lol I feel like a newbie!

5. TheJoSko

TheJoSko

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Correct

I'm used to playing in drop D, so for some lower songs (C#) i tune to what i assume is C# tuning. C#, G#, C# F# Just a half-step down from drop D on all the strings. Truss rod adjustments help get rid of the slack in the E string. I feel theres too much slack in the string to play in any lower tunings.

I have a 4 string tuned in C# and i just bring my 5 string for anything lower. I really like the C# tuning for metal. Check it out.

6. It depends if you have a good hear or not. If when you hear a note, you know where it is on your instrument without having to look at what the guitar player is doing. then by all mean just bring your five string. If you need to watch the guitarist's neck to know where he is you'll need to drop tune.

7. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I think they are wanting you to tune to C standard. Thats what alot of Sabbath style metal bands (mine included) use.
    Our tuning is: C F A# D#
    Drop tuning is: A# F A# D#
    Dont know if this helps or not.