1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by deathbassist, Apr 28, 2010.

1. So i have been playing bass for about 2 and a half years and i spent most of that time learning songs technique and all but never really learning alot about my bass. But i've been learning more and i wanna ask is there such thing as drop strings and are there diffrent type of strings for diffrent tunings like one for Drop D or another for drop B. because my bass buzzes bad because i got to get a new setup and some new strings and i was wondering if they had drop strings or really good kind of strings for Drop A because both my bands play drop A. I once had some D Addario strings and they seemed ok on my Fender P bass then i swithched them over to my
    OB50 Oschar Shcimdt and they buzz *but they were a year old. so any suggestions

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    A good set for drop A would have gauges like;

.150 .100 .072 .055

You will want a .145 or .150 on bottom for the A, and then 'normal' gauges for the E and up.

I sell them as a set, but you can also come by a standard 4 string set with a .100 or .105 E and pick up that .145 or .150 as a single.