1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop tunning?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Oct 24, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    So I want to try new tuning techniques but I'm not sure exactly how to do them.

I have my traben set up to open C right now (my guitarist showed me how) and I like it although I don't like the C,G,C,G setup. Makes me feel limited.

Something I want to try is Drop B, but I don't want to just tune B,E,A,D. I know there's another way although I'm not quite 100% on what all the strings are tuned to or even how to get there.

Any advice? or better yet other tunings that I can try to see what I like?

Also just some specifics in case it comes up...

My bass is a string through.

and I want to get a 5er but I don't have the scratch to toss down on one anytime soon.

2. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Drop B would be B-F♯-B-E
    B-E-A-D is B Standard. Also, how can you like open C but not like the C-G-C-G? That's what Open C is.
    C-G-D-A-E-G is the tuning Robert Fripp uses, and could be something cool to use on bass as C-G-D-A. It's coincidentally, the same tuning as a Cello.

3. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    D A D G-- I used to do that alot. I was watching Ross Vallory ( Journey) and it looked like that was the tuning he was using.

4. I use C standard on all my basses. Works great when the band is tuned to D or drop D.
    thats CFA#D#

5. MHT75

MHT75 SCTMMC.com Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Richmond,BC
    Tuning your bass into fifths ( C-G-D-A ) is something i very much enjoyed playing.

6. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    i used to use DADA all the time ... now i stick with standard or drop D. DADA is hard on the g strings.

7. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    +1

8. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Wouldn't it work better if you were tuned to the same tuning as them? I say this because I'm currently having to learn some new songs that were written in Drop C on a B Standard tuning... The stretching is intense. I'm thinking of just getting my 4 string out for a Drop C tuning. Maybe it'll make it easier.

9. Actually because I am tuned a whole step lower, I have to move my first position two frets closer to me. This is actually more comfortable to play D,E, F and all that other metal jazz since I am not all the way at the bottom of the neck.
    I also find it kind of works out neat that our open notes arent teh same. So when I hit a big "E" (well C) and ring out, the guitarist isnt doing the same, which can get muddy fast.

10. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Fixed. :bassist:

It was killing me.

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I was just about to do that.:p

12. :crying:
    ahh screw you guys.

13. xalatar

xalatar

Sep 25, 2010
    Tennessee
    For 4 string, you can do drop D - DADG, which is pretty popular.
    Drop C, as far as I've always known, is CGCF, but I'm sure there are plenty of variations and other options. Unless you played a lot of your high G in your CGCG tuning, then that won't be much different.
    Standard B is BEAD, but Drop-B would be B F# B E.
    I'm sure it comes down to the music you play, but unless your guitarists are playing 7 string guitars, then a standard B tuning probably won't do you any good.
    Then again, any tuning you have needs to correlate with your band members, otherwise it won't really sound in sync (I'm sure there are examples of bands making it work, but in general, probably not).

So I guess the recap of that is DADG is always a solid choice, CGCF would be dropped even more, and B F# B E would be dropped even further. Drop B won't sound too hot without some thick strings. Drop C you can get away with better than B, but still probably want at least a 105 or 110. Drop D you can do with a normal set of strings.

Hope something in there helped.

14. shifter

shifter

Jul 10, 2006
    somewhere else
    Certainly helped me, I've been running a practice bass in good old E and another in D, but It looks like I'm going to start working on a project in open C which is cool but it's messing with my basses that are set up so I've been contemplating a new Bass and putting that in open C..

Which leads me to a question.... For lower tunings such as c and B on 4 string basses are "through string" bodies any better or worse??

Cheers

15. xalatar

xalatar

Sep 25, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't think it would make any difference. Some people argue tone differences, while others say there is no difference. So I doubt it would really do anything in regards to tuning. In my experience, I've never noticed a difference.

Here's a thread on it: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636391