1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dropping the low E string to drop C

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bass_Player_Wes, Oct 15, 2004.

1. how would i do this?
    me and my mate think we do it right but we are not sure.
    please help?! :crying:

2. You can simply de-tune your E to low C in the obvious way - i.e downwards! - but if you are having problems hearing a tuning reference point then play the harmonic on the 5th fret of the G string and then hit the harmonic on the 5th of the E string - it's pretty easy - alternatively you'll need a sensitive tuner to get an accurate reading on your low string - it really isn't rocket science.

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    ?

The fifth fret harmonic on the G is a G (double octave). Do you mean tune the 7th fret harmonic on the E to this?

4. appler

appler Guest

If you play the fifth-fret harmonic on a low C (previously your E) string and the G at the same time, you will be playing a perfect fifth, which is quite easy to tune. Violinists, violists, and cellists use this method to tune. It sounds cool, too.