1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum Machine Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Sep 29, 2008.

1. I am primarily a hobby player, and jam with others on occasion. Actually, playing with people more and more through craigslist, but I am looking for a drum machine to practice at home and work on my timing.
    Looks like the selection is:

Zoom
    Boss
    Alesis

I am looking for a portable unit, rather than a software program.
    Around $100-$200.
    Any help or recommendations/experience would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Slackerprince

2. filter

filter

Jun 7, 2003
    Atl, GA
    This is the one I have. Its small and has lots of options.
    Easy to use.

3. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Zoom B2.1u. You get an acceptable drum machine and lots of other extras you may find very useful. BTW, this post might be better suited under the "Effects" forum.

4. I have the Alesis SR-16. It works well for a low cost machine, fairly simple to use as well.

5. Thank you.
    Leaning towards the Zoom, but the Alesis gets good reviews on Harmony C. and MF.

S.

6. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I've used an Alesis for years and have found it great for practicing and also for live gigs as well...

It is easy to program, sounds decent and you can also use footswitches to control on/off and the fill/change pattern options....

7. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
  8. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I've been using a Yamaha RY10 for at least 15 years now and I still haven't found anything that comes close to it in terms of ease of use. The sounds are a little outdated, but if you tweak them with an EQ and add some reverb you can get some good natural sounding drum sounds.
    Here's one on ebay right now along with the instruction manual.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Rhythm-P...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you are curious to see what you can do with the Yamaha RY10 check out my myspace page. I rewrote the entire drum part to Simple Mind's "Don't you forget about me" on it.

9. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

+1 to what he said

10. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    +1 on Alesis