1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum software to replace "drum machine"?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dbcandle, Feb 22, 2008.

1. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    I'm looking for drum software such as Fruity Loops with good samples and lots of ready-made patterns. Can anyone recommend software that:
    • Costs $50 or less
    • Has good samples (sounds good)
    • Comes with lots of ready-made patterns
    • Is easy to create pattens for

I'm looking for something better than Hammerhead or a metronome to practice/jam with, and most of my searches pointed to this forum. I'm looking for ready-made patterns - I want to practice my bass, not programming drum-patterns.

Note: I did a search, but didn't come-up with a solution.

2. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    For under $50 I don't think you can meet any of your other requirements. If you want tons of pre-programmed loops with good sounding drum samples and easy customization, you're looking at something like Sony ACID or DFH/ezdrummer and a sequencer. ACID Music Studio is the low end version and it's like $70, but I have no idea how good the included loops are (I stopped messing around with ACID before Sony bought it out). That's probably the cheapest option, but I'd definitely try to check out a demo before buying it. The loop CD's for ACID run from around $40-$100 if you want more loops.

3. There's always GarageBand for MacOSX and you get some initial AppleLoops -- note that the loops are either audio based, or midi based. With the MIDI AppleLoops you could change the drum sounds in the plugin or other plug-ins.

I think there's also material out there on Internet, either AppleLoops or then MIDI files with drum material.

GarageBand ships with iLife. You get a free version of iLife if you purchase Macintosh hardware.

--Kent

4. no real readymade patterns for this one, but i quite like Accoustica Beatcraft.
    very easy to make good loops and whole song drum arrangements, good sounds and built in effects and cheap.

5. I like JamStix, by Razoon. Think it's $99, but well worth it.

6. I don't think there is one that meet your criteria. There is DK+ http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/dk+.html, certainly sounds good (in an entirely different world than hammerhead), easy to use and cost 50 bucks BUT it's a VSTI and therefore, you need a host for it. Although, on second thought, maybe the donationware MiniHost would host it, worth a try: http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html.

7. Fear Tomorrow

Fear Tomorrow

Jan 2, 2008
    get a torrent of reason. pantera kickbacks ftw

8. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    are there stand alone vst,s of say a 909.. a dmx an 808 or a drumulator.... like complete without all the extras ..just complete carbon copies??