1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum Triggers live

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Highroler79, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    Anyone use drum triggers live with there band?

We just did some recordings and the drums triggered sound so much bigger and cleaner than acoustic drums. I see Roland now makes a trigger that has a built in mic and sends two outputs a mic and a trigger. I was thinking of adding this to our live sound run the trigger into a DI box then out to the FOH to be blended the the original drum sound. the trigger is Roland RT-MicS that I was looking at for snare and 2 toms, and I was going to add the Roland TM 2 with a trigger on the kick.

Anyone have experience doing this, we are playing small to med size venues.

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    In small venues, using triggers on acoustic drums can be limited by how much the acoustic drums carry the room. If the SE already has all the drum faders pulled down because the drummer's heavy handed, adding a triggered sample on top of already loud drums isn't in the cards. If your drummer—and your music—are friendly to augmenting an acoustic kit with a standalone trigger or two, that can be a work-around for gigs where the SPL limits don't allow enough headroom above the ambient level of the acoustic drums.

SoCal80s and Highroler79 like this.
  3. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Had a drummer that used a trigger on his kick. He never tuned it or replaced the head unless it was absolutely broken. Sounded terrible by itself, but I have to say, I liked the triggered sound. Lot easier to EQ, imo.

Highroler79 likes this.
  4. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Did sound for a band who's drummer had a real acoustic kick drum shell with a front head but a Roland kick trigger instead of a batter head. So easy to get a killer, controlled kick sound.

- John

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Highroler79 and JPaulGeddy like this.
  5. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    We use Roland triggers on the bass drum and snare drum into a TM-2 and sometimes a TM-6 if we trigger the Toms. Much easier and more predictable than mics. The natural sound of the drums complimented by fat and clean triggered sounds sound amazing through our PA. The ultimate is to fly 2 overhead condenser mics but we don't bother with that every show.

DirtDog and Highroler79 like this.
  6. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    Nice I just got the kick trigger today, I'll get it all set up for practice on the weekend. Our next show is about 3 weeks away super excited to get this all set up. I have a 4 input Radial rack DI unit that I will run the triggers into so the FOH can just grab a XLR feed from there.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Interesting!
    What’s the signal path?

Highroler79 likes this.
  8. promdates

promdates

Jun 2, 2019
    Slidell, LA
    You could use the triggers to side-chain gate so that there's less cymbal bleed when recording. Obv, you record both the full mic and the trigger. So if you don't want it gated, you just deactivate the trigger.

Highroler79 likes this.
  9. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Just be sure if you're going to go that route to buy decent triggers. My old drummer saw a thing online "how to build your own triggers for $5 in parts" and he literally wasted dozens and dozens of hours of his (and my) time trying to get them to work.

Highroler79 likes this.
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    With recording you get midi along with great sound from the drum brain.
    The midi can be used to replace a drum sound if needed.

For live Triggers are best with mesh heads to get 100% pure drum brain sound through FOH. No bleed.

Need a good eDrum brain, or trigger box and a sampler (PC, IOS, or otherwise) but overall the price is not much more than mics and channels on the FOH especially when you factor in all the setup time for mics.

Yamaha also has the EAD10 which is not triggered but much better than trying to mic an acoustic kit.

Highroler79 likes this.
  11. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    Signal path- trigger->TM-2->Mixer

12. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
  13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    :D
    Bass players should be cautious about recommending triggers and/or Yamaha EAD10 to drummers - as they may recommend back amp sims.

All this new tech sounds really good when applied right so everyone should keep an open mind.

Highroler79 likes this.
  14. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    hahahah true, I just use my darkglass DI I don't use a amp any more, both guitars are using Moore GE 300, no amps or stage noise it is great

Wadge likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021