Drummerless Recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by The Beast, Nov 28, 2004.

1. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    Im currently playing at my church with a really great piano player, and occasionaly some flutes or clarinets. Anybody wanna direct me towards some good songs/alblums/etc. that have a DB holding it down without a drummer? It doesnt have to be just DB and piano, anything without a drummer.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Angel Song - by Kenny Wheeler, with Lee Konitz,Bill Frisell and Dave Holland - is a good one for this! :)
  3. I´ve been listening to these two duo recordings lately:
    Charlie Haden w. Kenny Barron: The Night And The City
    Michael Moore w. Bill Charlap: Condord Duo series recording

both are excellent.

4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Alone Together, with Jim Hall & Ron Carter is a classic. In the same vein, you'll found Jim Hall and Basses, w/ S Colley, C Haden, D. Holland, G. Mraz & C McBride.
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Last night I was spinning This One's For Blanton - Duke Ellington and Ray Brown in a brilliant duo.

What kind of music are you playing at church? A lot of hymns sound great if the various instruments available each pick a line to follow (I'm thinking of stuff which is arranged for SATB vocals). On the other hand, a lot of contemporary worship music is going to take some thinking about; it's more rocky or poppy than jazzy so people like Mr Brown might not be such a directly relevant inspiration.

6. ...and if ya wanna hear hilarious bass playing, try this:

Skip Hop & Wobble by Edgar Meyer, Jerry Douglas & Russ Barenberg.

PS. all bluegrass stuff is "Bass Driven", too
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Anything by Monty Alexander and John Clayton.

Charlie Haden/Hampton Hawes; "As Long As There's Music".

Martial Solal has some great ones. At least one recording features him and two double bassists. (anyone know the title of that one?)

Anything by Django Reinhardt, and in the same vein, anything by Bireli Lagrene's Gipsy Project.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

I just remembered a really nice piano/bass duo recording I bought recently :

Charlie Haden & John Taylor : "Nightfall"
  9. Marcus:
    Sans Tambour Ni Trompette - Martial Solal Trio
    RCA (F) 74321375112

Martial Solal (p), Gilbert Rovère (b), Jean-François Jenny Clarke (b)

;) R2
  10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000

Not only is it "drummerless", but all the instruments work together to keep things moving in time. A good bluegrass band is very much like a machine.
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    That's it! Thanks, R2.
  12. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Most of my faves have been called, but if you like free improv, there's a two-LP set on Improvising Artists Incorporated of Dave Holland & Sam Rivers circa 1976. The four sides are DB/tenor, DB/soprano, DB/flute and DB/piano.

I only have disc two. Anyone who wants to share disc one for education & enjoyment, please let me know.
  13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Oh man, that's a great one. I have a friend who has it on vinyl. After gigs, we'd sometimes head to his crib to listen to "Sam & Dave".
  14. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    disk 1 + disk 2 > 1k us$ worth of music on Amazone !!! :eek:
  15. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    There are a lot of great drummerless Red Mitchell recordings out there. A few that I have and enjoy are:

The Red Barron Duo - with Kenny Barron
    Doggin' Around - with Herb Ellis
    I Concentrate on You - with Lee Konitz

I think Red does a great job of keeping the feel lively with double stops, rhythmic accents, glissandi, etc. He manages to inject some of the rhythmic vitality that one would normally get from the drummer, but without having his playing sound too busy. Playing too much is one of the temptations that bass players can run into when they have to play without drums. Red always keeps it interesting, but still tasteful.
  16. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    One of my favorites is "Ray Brown, Monty Alexander & Russell Malone" (Telarc label).
    I believe Oscar Peterson made some trio recordings with Ray Brown and Herb Ellis, but I'm not 100% sure.
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Dave Young's "Two by Two" recordings are certainly worth a listen.
  18. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    I'd recommend Kenny Wheeler's Angel Song, it features Dave Holland on bass, Bill Frisell on guitar and Wheeler on trumpet and flugel horn.

It falls into the category some folks call 'chamber jazz'
  19. Bruce Lindfield

20. Richard Whitema

Richard Whitema

Jul 30, 2004
    Here are some great drummerless recordings:

The great Canadian guitarist Ed Bickert with Don Thompson on Bass(At the Garden Party-Sackville Records)
    Tommy Flanagan/George Mraz-Ballads and Blues(Enja)
    Jimmy Raney w Flanagan/Mraz-Wisteria(Criss Cross)
    Jimmy Rowles and Ray Brown-Concord