Dual Band Compressor with effects loop for each band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Col E Loc, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Col E Loc

Col E Loc

Nov 8, 2009
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Hello TB. I couldn't find anything about this topic so I'm asking here.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a dual band Compressor pedal that has side chains for each of the compressed bands. Sure, there's the FEA optifet, that gave me the idea for taking this: http://byocelectronics.com/pmbcschematic.pdf & wiring up the in or out for each Compressor side chained with input output jacks. So I can send say the low output to an overdrive and the High output to an octaver or something like that.

Is it that easy?

Does something like this exist?

Do you Think it'll do what I want it to?

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    alesis 3630
    (dirty six thirty)

Col E Loc likes this.
  3. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    If you search TB threads there was a lot of info and mod suggestions on that BYOC Dual-Band.

The side-chain is much different than a effects loop. The side-chain is the circuitry that "listens" to the audio and generates all of the control for gain reduction. Your Ratio, Threshold, Attack and Release circuits live in the side-chain. Some compressors, like the Opti-FET, have loop jacks that allow you to insert filters and EQ's ahead of the side-chain detector. This is basically a freq dependent threshold modifier. Comps that have external side-chain access may allow you to remote trigger the compression, by a technique called ducking, by feeding alternate audio signal into the SC return jack.

What you are looking for is a Dual-Band comp that has effect loops in each band. I don't think there is a pedal Dual-Band comp with dual effects loops. But the FEA DB-CL is an optical Dual-Band that will allow you to send the lows out one jack and the highs out another jack. All you would need to do is mix the signals back together after your high and low effects pedals.:thumbsup:

-Frank

Col E Loc likes this.
  4. Col E Loc

Col E Loc

Nov 8, 2009
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I scoured TB for Hours trying to find What I'm looking for.
    Alas, it comes back to another FEA pedal, Sounds like it's close to what I'm going for. I'll check it out.

5. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    FEA DB-CL and a blend pedal