1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual coil humbucker dual series switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by z6e9n, Apr 14, 2009.

1. z6e9n

z6e9n

Feb 10, 2008
    Indiana
  2. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    follow your wiring diagram, using 3 push/pull pots; 2 vol and 1 for tone. just cut out the phaser on it and you should be go.

3. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    It's possible. You will need to connect all the pickup coils together in a series circuit, connect "taps" to each of the junction points, and then wire up a switch of some sort (possibly a 3 pole 2 throw switch) which can "shunt" out various coils to leave only the desired coils active in your circuit.

I wired up a similar configuration on a 2-pickup humbucking bass, using a 3 pole 4 throw rotary switch, to give me all 4 possible dual-coil tones:

- Neck (both coils)
    - Neck (outer coil) plus Bridge (outer coil)
    - Neck (inner coil) plus Bridge (inner coil)
    - Bridge (both coils)

I documented the process (and the results here):
    http://base.google.com/base/a/1127908/D4872343535786604351

Hope this is useful to you!

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it can be done with an on-off-on DPDT toggle switch. i've re-wired a few dual-bucker g&l basses this way, and it sounds really good, with all three settings having equal output, distinctive and useful tones, and no hum. i'll look for my diagram and post it.

i like tubby.twins' method to get all four variations of two series hum-canceling coils, because the two choices of splitting (inner coils vs. outer) sound very different but both sound good. with my method you have to choose one and stick with it.

5. z6e9n

z6e9n

Feb 10, 2008
    Indiana
    I would love to see that diagram. Just fyi I am working with 4 pots and I can't drill or cut into the bass. What I want to emulate is a p-bass and a jazz bass. I am considering doing a series/parallel mod for each pickup with vol for each coil and a master tone. That would give me a jazz(both pickups in parallel roll off vol on 1 of the coils in each pickup), precision(neck soloed in series), musicman(bridge soloed in series), and lakeland(neck in parallel roll off vol on 1 coil and bridge in series). I would love to do a third series/parallel mod for both pickups but I am not sure how to that with only 4 pots. I was thinking about going with a tone for each pickup but I have read that each tone will effect both pickups.