Dual Precision Pickups Wiring Problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by back2thebassics, Jul 12, 2020.

1. back2thebassics

back2thebassics

Jan 14, 2020
    I just built a bass that was partially Inspired by the Mark Hoppus Signature bass and the Leland Sklar Frankenstein bass I had a friend do the artwork and it turned out really nice
    C83C6BC4-09D6-486F-8ECD-D5134DAD1CC5.jpeg
    It has two Reversed Seymour Duncan SBP-3 Quarter Pounders and is wired with two volume pots and no tone control

Solo’ed each pickup sounds good, I like the tones from both the bridge and neck position I don’t know why this configuration isn’t used more often, but when I blend the pickups together I get less output and loose all low end. With my limited knowledge this sounds like a phase issue, but I don’t know how to fix it. I did replace the lead wires on one of the pickups and I would guess that’s where my issue is coming from.

There is also a hum when I tough the strings bridge or pots, which sounds like a grounding issue but I’m not sure where the problem is coming from

this is the diagram I used, it seemed like it should work but it also might be a cause of some issues
    9375EC08-E1B7-4FE5-A37C-09AFA157B019.jpeg

sikamikanico likes this.
  2. back2thebassics

back2thebassics

Jan 14, 2020
    If someone could give me some advice on how to fix the phase issues or take a second look at that diagram for me that would be awesome, thanks guys

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    When two pickups are wired out of phase, swap the hot and ground connections of one pickup only to correct the problem.

This seems like the output jack is wired backwards.

JRA likes this.
  4. back2thebassics

back2thebassics

Jan 14, 2020
    alright i'll swap those 2 connections and report back

5. back2thebassics

back2thebassics

Jan 14, 2020
    That did the trick thanks slater she’s hum free now and both pickups blended sound beastly

mcnach, sikamikanico, Slater and 2 others like this.
  6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Great! :bassist:

7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004

Nice bass! Yeah, dual reverse P makes a lot of sense, it’s IMO the “correct” way to do a “PJ” bass... Never heard one with two SPB3s - can you share any sound clips?

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've never owned a reverse P configuration (that i remember! :D ), but i agree with sikamikanico that it's the sensible way to hear the strings. you've got a cool ax there, OP! nice looking in every way! glad you got help with the pickup issue(s). :thumbsup:

9. back2thebassics

back2thebassics

Jan 14, 2020
    I’ll try and get some sound clips tonight, but yeah the dual reverse P sounds good, and when the two separate volume controls it’s like a massive sounding jazz bass I play it in a punk band I started with some friends from high school and it works well for that

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021