1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dual straight, dual right angle, or mixed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by elgecko, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Dual straight plugs

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Dual right angle plugs

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. One straight/one right angle

100 vote(s)
    75.2%
  4. I terminate my cables with carrots

9 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I just installed right angle jacks on a bunch of my cables. I prefer one straight/one right angle. Aside from a Strat style jack, I can't think of another situation where I wouldn't prefer a right angle coming out of a bass.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Depends on the bass for me. I like the straight/right angle for basses with the output jack on the bottom of the body; but prefer straight/straight when the jack is on the face of the bass. I guess it's just another example of "different strokes"...

3. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

do we really need to discuss this?

Buy a right angle adaptor,turn any cable into what you want, or not, it's YOUR cable.

GPP-151_RGB_856-350x230.

walldaja, SunnBass and madjazzbass like this.
  4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Adapters decouple and get lost.

5. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

yes and the decoupling saves your cable and your bass from damage from stepping on the cord and yanking it. I bought three, I can lose two before buying more. I can't believe you are disagreeing about using an adaptor, but that's TB........

nuhckes8 and HolmeBass like this.
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I can't believe you're advocating adding another link in the chain. ;)

eadg98005 likes this.
  7. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    ima dual straight

8. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    it's a good way to sell buffers :woot::roflmao:

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you remember to loop your cable through your strap or use a wireless, then it really doesn't matter.

Right angle connectors are good if you ever sit down to play, but the downside is it puts a lot more pressure on the inside of the jack if the cable gets stepped on/pulled down compared to a straight plug.

tonemachine likes this.
  10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I prefer straight/straight, mostly because all my basses have jacks on the front, and a straight jack plug behaves better with the bass on a stand.

11. I soldered up a right angle/right angle cable years ago. I hate it. Terrible to plug into an amp. Even worse when it's time to unplug from the amp--hard to grip.

12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Depends on which bass I'm using. when jack is on the front I use right angle, when on the side the straight.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I used to use Straight/Right Angle, but to cut down on the number of "weak links" in the signal chain now I just hard wire the bass cable right from it's preamp into the amps circuit board. Of course, I use only Oxygen Free point to point wiring.

14. Innocuous

Innocuous In Memoriam

May 5, 2014
    N. E. Ohio
    I'm hardwired from guitar to amp. No plugs necessary.
    :speechless::whistle::help:

15. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Usually I do one straight, one right angle. I prefer the right angle at the instrument jack, to keep it low profile, but if for some reason I'm playing an instrument that has a recessed jack I can swap ends without any issues.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I like angled into a bass guitar, straight into the amp or wherever else the plug might be going, and straight into the upright bass. All have carrots for tips. Carrots are far better in the signal path than oxygen free copper, even though they are kinda sorta the same color.

Haji likes this.
  17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm gonna design and market a series of 45ยบ angle connector cables for the indecisive among us.

"DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A RIGHT ANGLE TO BE THE RIGHT ANGLE"

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Who are these people who keep stepping on their cables?

I've always done that but I find that some cables can slip and end up causing unnecessary strain.

19. I couldn't care less - whatever is to hand that works is fine with me. This means it will be chunky cable with metal ends. straight or bent doesn't matter.

20. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    P
    No, YOU dont need to discuss it.

Dominic DeCosa likes this.