1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dub Trio - good heavy dub

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Oct 20, 2006.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Anyone else picked up any Dub Trio? They're a great fresh take on dub reggae. Their last album "New Heavy" is pretty sweet. Kind of blends punk and heavy groove (kind of like Rage Against the Machine) stuff with nice dub reggae sections. Dig the bass player. Simple heavy dub grooves. Anyone else heard/heard of them. I don't know much about them, but was impressed. Nice change.:bassist:

2. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Never heard of them, but it sounds interesting. I'll check them out.

3. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I like were they are coming from, I have the 'Exploring The Dangers Of' CD. Stu Brooks plays nice grooves on both bass and keyboards on it.

4. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. I like the live tracks on that CD. Good stuff. "Hello!.... We...Are...Dub....Trio". New Heavy is totally different. Totally mixing in sections of hardcore, punk with dub.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Checked it out... decent, a little boring. But nice to have on in the background.

6. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I just bought New Heavy and I really like it thanks for the heads up I was looking for something new and different. And this here album is it.

7. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Their track on Peeping Tom was badass.

8. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    They pretty much are Peeping Toms. The difference is whether or not Mike Patton is present. Peeping Toms when he's there, and when he's not they're Dub Trio. At least that's how I've understood it.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Dub Trio open for Clutch earlier this year. I was blown away by not only the ingenuity of the band, but the absolute depth of the bass. All the little zingers and drops you hear on the album are pulled off live. The drummer spends a lot of time playing one handed while sampling hits with a mic in the other and tweaking them live with a sampler/lfo box. Great band!

10. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    I've had the Cd for awhile now and I really like it ! Nice mix of fast punk like riffage and slow grooving straight up DUB. Saw a review of the album and short write up of Stu in Bass Guitar listened to it online then bought it

The only song I didn't like right away was "Not Alone" with Mike Patton but that was because I couldn't tolerate his high pitched singing for more than 30 seconds. But now the whole thing is good !

check'em out : http://www.dubtrio.com/newheavy/

illegal dub vid :

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Hell Yeah Maki, just checked them out on the Youtube............

On my must buy list!!!!!!!

12. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    They were pretty good as the Peeping Tom rhythm section live. I thought there set was a little on the boring side, but definitely fun. Peeping Tom was pretty bad ass though, with Dan the Automator on turn tables and Butterscotch beatboxing.

I don't think they are on many tracks on the album...

13. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    You should listen to that Illegal Dub youtube track and watch jady's dancing cat avatar above his comments... especially once the dub gets going about 1:00 in.

That's freaking me out a little bit.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Haha! It's like TB's own Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon thing!

I'll be checking this band out. I like what I'm hearing so far on their website. I just wish they were playing anywhere near me while opening for Helmet!

15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I managed to see them coming off a tour last February in NEW YORK!!!!! That's their home town. It was in a small venue in SoHo. Had to sit through a couple of crappy local bands and then they came on and did their set. Blew me away. Very impressive. They were very tight and together during all those complicated stops. Drummer, as described by lowendgenerator was playing one handed while hitting triggers, loops and samples of a trigger pad. Was able to talk to them after the show too. Very down to earth. Stu Brooks, bass player was playing Aguilar gear and was running a Moog Low Pass Filter. Just good clean heavy tone. Very nicely dialed in. Guitarist had a very nice wood grain guitar that really sounded unique. It didn't have a typical fender or Gibson sound. All of them were ripping players. The venue would be comparable to The Viper Room in LA. Really small room. Killer show.

I happened to be in town for a teaching conference nad I dragged a few coworkers out with me. They had their eyes opened for sure. One of them really dug. She's this old hippy earth mama school marm. She bought all their stuff and got them to autograph their merch. Pretty cool. They were stoked on it and they were stoked on me dragging a crowd of 6 people with me.

Missed the Helmet tour. They swung through town a couple of weeks ago. I've seen Helmet about 4 times. It was just at an inconvenient time for me. Couldn't make either show. What a bummer. Much bigger venue this time.

16. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    The new album is amazing. It's in very heavy rotation for me right now been listening to it everyday for a week. Much more heavy stuff but still has a dub groove and vibe. If you liked "New Heavy" you will love this one I think.

Random Youtube vids of a couple of the songs on "Another Sound is Dying":

17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I like them much better alone than with Patton....

18. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Agreed, I've been digging this album for about a month or so. I never really heard them before it but got it on recommendation. I really dig patton too though so it was nice to hear him on some of the stuff. I didn't realize until later also that it was the basic peeping toms lineup. I'll have to check out more of it.