1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dude on eBay is trying to scam me, please advise

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Menorahman, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorahman

Menorahman

Aug 13, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    A little over a week ago I conducted my first two eBay sales, both of which were auctions for basses. One was for a Warrior Signature 4 which sold for $1650 shipped. This went smoothly and the buyer left me positive feedback. The other was for an Ovation Ultra Bass w/ Kahler Tremelo Bridge which went for $300. Unfortunately, this buyer is a nightmare.

Here is the eBay listing in question:

Ovation Ultra Bass w/ Kahler Tremelo Bridge

I’ve stitched together my conversation with buyer. These pics include everything except his last message to me:

Nutjob1. Nutjob2. Nutjob3. Nutjob4.

Let’s start with the first issue: the whammy bar.

The buyer believes that, because my listing specified that the bass uses a trem bridge, I should be including a whammy bar. Since the whammy bar is not included, the buyer says I should have either put a disclaimer to that effect, or I should have listed the bass under “not working” or “parts." To him, the trem arm is part of the bridge and is required for the bridge to function.

So essentially, my listing is 100% accurate and this guy is demanding an extra item because he is too dense and/or greedy to understand. I never once used the words “whammy," “bar,” or “arm" in my listing. I specified the bridge type because that’s what the Ovation Ultra is known for and not all of them have the trem bridge. The bridge does not need the arm to function as a bridge. You can even initiate the whammy effect using your hand pulling on the bridge if you really wanted to. By his logic, I should also have to send him a strap since the strap pins don’t “function” without one.

Totally insane, but I calmly offer him a refund of half of the shipping if he agrees to leave me positive feedback. He declines my offer and says $15 back is fine (for what exactly?) and that he won’t leave me bad feedback. I wanted to just refund his money and not ship the bass to him, but he seemed somewhat reasonable given his absurd demand. I ship him the bass and put the info into eBay, which of course he doesn’t see and he complains that I’m stalling on shipping. Ironically, shipping cost me $85, which is $35 less than I charged him. I sent him the receipt, so do you think he’ll notice or care about me footing the bill?

Of course not. Then I get his most recent message…and I’m floored.

Nutjob5.

This guy is not only a moron but a complete asshat as well. First of all, his claim that the bass is plywood is complete BS. According to Ovation, these basses have hard maple bodies, so unless they lied, the bass is indeed made of hard maple. Then he pretty much complains that the bass is not in mint condition. What exactly was he expecting? He bought a 30 year old bass for $300. The same bass that I originally bought from eBay for $450 only 6 months ago.

OvationUltraBuy.

I’m not a luthier, but there were no problems with it as far as I could tell. It played and sounded great. Now all of a sudden the bass is a piece of junk because this guy says so? Even more ridiculous is that, by his OWN admission, he bought the bass so he could take off the bridge and put it on something else. Well, until the last message where he changes his mind and says he bought it because I said it was made of hard maple (which it is).

I know most people are garbage, but this is really something else. I have such low expectations of others, yet somehow they always find a way to reach new lows. No surprise the guy is probably a gun nut with a name like great guns. My plan is to call eBay and to explain the situation, but I’ve heard they usually side with buyers. Even so, I’m hoping they realize how insane this guy is. I may have only sold two items on eBay but I’ve bought a good deal, so I have 33 positive ratings. And I can point out that I have 25 ratings at 100% on Reverb. Also thinking about telling them that if they side with the buyer and/or let him leave me negative feedback that I’m done using eBay. It should help that the buyer was insulting eBay in his messages.

I’m very peeved. Thoughts?

2. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    I can see it from both sides.

From his side, your listing makes a big deal about the Kahler tremelo bridge, in the title and in the description. It's kind of worthless without the bar.

Your pics don't show a bar, and there's nothing saying that it comes with or without the bar. The buyer might have assumed it was in a case or removed and set aside.

He should have asked, and you should have said there's no bar in your description.

Since it's your listing, and you're the one who made a big deal about the rare Kahler tremelo bridge, I have to side with the buyer.

Plenty of people sell Strats with the whammy bar removed and placed in the accessories compartment of the case.

3. Menorahman

Menorahman

Aug 13, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I did not send him a case. The pictures and listing were for the bass only. The bar is not part of the bass, it's an add-on.

He should have asked before buying. He waited because he knew it wasn't included and saw an opportunity to make a stink.

4. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Are you saying that when that bass was sold new, for the first time, it did NOT come with a bar for the tremelo?

Thisguy and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    If I was buying a bass listed to have a tremolo bridge, I would consider it normal to think that the bar was included or, if not,.to be mentioned in the add.
    Not seeing mention of the bar nor pictures of it, I would take it upon myself to ask if it's included. That being said, I don't consider it crazy to assume a bass advertised as having a tremolo bridge to come with a whammy bar.

Similar thing happened just yesterday. I was looking at a bass head for.sale on eBay. I liked it, including the price. I noticed there was no picture of the ac cord in the listing and the listing stated "comes with no accessories".
    I would assume the head came with an ac cord but given no pics and the mention of "na accessories" I wrote to the buyer asking about it. Ends up it came with the ac cord.

blindrabbit and El Güero like this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Yes, if the whammy bar isn't included, it's incomplete, but they are easy to buy.

8. Menorahman

Menorahman

Aug 13, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    How is that relevant?

If I was selling a bass without strings, and the pictures all had the bass with no strings on, then the person should expect to have to buy strings to use the bass. If someone bought it and then asked "hey it comes with strings right?" do you really think I should have to send him a free pack? The bass might have come with a strap too, should I put a disclaimer "no strap included"?

Point is, the guy assumed, and he assumed wrong. Then I agreed to a partial refund which is MORE than reasonable, and now he is going crazy because the bass is old and he thinks it's made of plywood.

9. Menorahman

Menorahman

Aug 13, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    He also got a good deal to begin with, and on top of that he only paid $50 for shipping while it cost me $85.

This is classic baby boomer entitlement mentality.

spaz21387 likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Gun nut"? Really?

To heck with your bass sale. Once you start implying gun owners are "nuts" ......

Ah never mind. Not worth the hassle.

11. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    It's relevant because YOU just said, "The bar is not part of the bass, it's an add-on."

If you can't see who's in the wrong here, that's your problem.

YOUR bass.

YOUR listing making a big deal about the Kahler.

YOUR fault for not saying the bar is not included.

12. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    The buyer is correct, it is a more than fair assumption on his part that the bar would be included...otherwise it's just a bridge that doesn't stay in tune very well...

13. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    If you think got a good case, proceed on. You put a lot of time and care into a post, only to react negatively to input. Did you really want TBers' thoughts? Or do you just want validation? Or worse, are you hoping that a forum post will somehow help your case from a paper-trail POV?

There seems to be a lot of similar posts the last few days - I'm beginning to wonder what the motivation is for them.

14. Menorahman

Menorahman

Aug 13, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    The bar and the bridge are two separate things.

Regardless of the trem, the bass still needs a bridge to function.

My listing was 100% accurate, but I'm not surprised people on here are siding with the barely coherent buyer.

15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Learn a lesson from all of this. Give a more detailed and comprehensive listing next time you sell something online.

Dgl44, Passinwind, smogg and 2 others like this.
  16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Oh man, I completely missed who the OP is, please do not feed the troll.

17. Menorahman

Menorahman

Aug 13, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah I guess next time I'll say

No bar
    No strap
    No picks
    No case
    No batteries (if active)
    No string cleaner

18. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Noted. Thread is definitely smelly.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    That's pretty harsh. Everybody needs to eat.

Some creamy TNC for the OP.

Creamy TNC.

carl h. likes this.
  20. Menorahman

Menorahman

Aug 13, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Nobody cares that the listing and pictures are accurate.
    Nobody cares that the bridge functions without the whammy bar.
    Nobody cares that the extra shipping I paid covers the cost of a bar.
    Nobody cares that the buyer's messages are rude and barely coherent.
    Nobody cares that I agreed to a fair compromise and now the buyer is yelling about plywood.

It's all my fault for not saying what the bass doesn't come with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.