1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duff McKagan Signature Bass knock off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N00benville, Jun 2, 2020.

1. N00benville

N00benville

Jun 2, 2020
    Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny that my bass is a knock. Some background: picked up this bass from a pawn shop for ~$500 CAD. The guy behind the counter let me know after I paid (kinda scummy) that it was a knock off, explaining that "no Fender bass comes stock without a pick guard". I recently did some digging and found out that that's incorrect. Comparing it to other basses of the theoretical same model, what's throwing me now is the thin Fender logo on the headstock. I then moved over to the Duff McKagan model, and sure enough I had the signature neckplate. Only problem now is the electronics cover is a different shape than all the ones I've seen. Any ideas? I'm not too worried if it is or not, she plays well anyway, and I wasn't exactly ripped off on the price for such a playable instrument. Would just like someone with more experience to confirm it or not. Thanks! 20200602_165808.jpg 20200602_165817.jpg 20200602_165808.jpg 20200602_165817.jpg 20200602_165920.jpg 20200602_165929.jpg 20200602_165938.jpg

Squittolo, Beej, kirillstokes and 4 others like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    As far as I can tell it's a legit jazz bass special with that neck plate and different knobs. The pawn shop guy is a jack ass.

3. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    The Duff bass is actually a knock off of that bass.

In addition to the Contemporary Series, the P-Bass Lyte, Jaco tributes, and a couple other come to mind as far as pickguardless Fenders.

RexxRokket, Maluku, dkelley and 8 others like this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Edit: Neck does not look right. Somethings not quite right with the body. Fake.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    adams83 and Rabidhamster like this.
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It’s looks like a legit Jazz Bass Special with new neck plate and a janky control cover.

What did Duff play before he had a sig. bass? ;)

(Edit - Thanks to all that have answered the question above, but I should state that the question is rhetorical. I actually know the answer. :) )

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  6. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    pop that cavity cover lets see whats under it.

That skull pattern could have been done at a mall kiosk.

Looks like a Jazz bass special to me, they came in a number of colors besides the "Duff bass". Could be just a weird electronics mod in back, or they lost the original, people do weird stuff. Im curious.

doesnt look duff to me:)

murphy likes this.
  7. N00benville

N00benville

Jun 2, 2020
    Here ya go!
    20200602_175607.jpg

Beej likes this.
  8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Thats weird the controls are kind of in the wrong spot, electronics are not what would be OEM from memory. Does it seem like the guitar is a refinish? Its clearly partially painted from that cavity 'work', but its hard to tell on the front

What does it look like under the pickups? I'd also want to check the neck pocket for more info.

If there is not a waterslide decal witness outline around the Fender on the headstock I cant see, still seems like you did ok so far.

9. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    That is flat out not Fender control cavity, tuners are wrong, knobs, copy backplate, ect. Is the finish white or a bit grayish pearl? Should be pearl

StayLow, Obese Chess, adams83 and 4 others like this.
  10. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Pots would be full sized cts, tone would be tbx. Chinese knock off

11. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Neh MIJ would've been crappy little mini pots, like all the MIJ guitars for so long, although a real Duff would probably have full size now.

12. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Also, I have never seen the switch in that location on one of these.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  13. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    The bridge and tuning posts don't look correct. Could have been replaced. The control cavity cover is wrong, switch is wrong. I'm going with knockoff.

CalEliteCoach likes this.
  14. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There's no recess on the control cavity cover. It doesn't sit flush. I've never seen that before.

ScotRFM likes this.
  15. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Edited: Good catch on the tuners(Definitely not original MIJ).

CalEliteCoach likes this.
  16. chandman1004

chandman1004 Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    He told you after you purchased it? I would have asked for money back immediately. Or if I like it that much, a partial refund

17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    FantasticFour and dkelley like this.
  18. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    the control cavity looks like a hack job. the control cavity cover would be recessed into the wood not just some random shaped cover mounted over the cavity with big protruding mounting screws.

19. chandman1004

chandman1004 Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Head stock is wrong. Look how sharp corners are next to the nut

20. N00benville

N00benville

Jun 2, 2020
    So if I ever need to sell it, I know not to go too high on it. Thanks y'all!