1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumb dumb dumb ol' me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MEKer, Nov 12, 2018.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    OK, my sister-in-law's birthday. I'm thinking of something that will be helpful for her, not another "dust-catcher" piece of crap. She's into fitness/dieting (big time) and such so that I got her 6 cans of choc and vanilla Slim Fast. Just tryin' to help....hello!

My bro was cool with it---for which he got the cold shoulder for a couple of weeks. My wife said I was insensitive and if she'd known she would have stopped me (she got her a couple of these new copper pans...hah!...another gift about EATING!!!).

So she's trying to lose weight (she IS pretty over-weight--whew), I do something to help and I get the slap-down. If I'd got a piece of exercise equipment I'm sure it would have been just fine...but oh no, if it references weight then you are an ash whole.

F it. I could care less. I think my bro is gonna dump her anyhow (no kids thank gawd).

Next female present I get, I swear will be a lace hankie. Nobody can bee-otch about that.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Try giving the gift of your time next time.

-Mike

3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    That's where u went wrong. You should have signed her up for weight watchers instead.

ONYX, Lobster11, petrus61 and 2 others like this.
  4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yeah, I'll coach her on her stationary bike or something and then have her cool down with a Slim Fast.

Maybe I'll entertain her with a joke---humor is good, right? I'll tell her the first thing Columbus bumped into when he crossed the Atlantic was not the island of Hispanola ...it was her big behind. He just thought it was the sub-continent of India.

hmm maybe not...:rollno:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Oddly likes this.
  5. This is why gift-giving is banned in my family.
    Only parent to child is still done, & I mean young children.

BassAndReeds and saabfender like this.
  6. Yeah, well I'm sorry but I could have told you that wouldn't go over well. Yeah. Oops. Live and learn!

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. Next you can try buying cleaning products for your S.O..
    Maybe a broom, LOL!

Wanker_Joe likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you were overweight, and someone gave you a gift that highlighted it, you might get upset as well. I understand you were trying to help.

rendevouz likes this.
  9. With a license plate.

10. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    And you didn't even open her present:

CAdqNzYUMAAJBJS.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    *couldn't

I don't know why you thought it was a good idea, but, I think for reasons others point out it should've been a little more obvious that it'd miss the mark (unless specifically asked for) :D.

12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    What's her second favorite hobby/interest? Sounds like walking in a minefield trying to figure out that first one.

13. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Honestly, I'm right there with you. If she is working out and dieting, then the Slim-Fast would be something that would get used, and she ought to accept it as encouragement. You didn't intend it to be an insult in any way, right? Not your fault she (and your wife) don't think logically. Move on, and stick with a gift certificate next year. Surely she can't be offended by that.

I'm overweight and I wasn't the least bit offended when my kids got me one of those gut-buster abdominal things (to do crunches, etc.) :D
    as-seen-on-tv-ab-roller-evolution.

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Kind of like gifting a metronome to a fellow musician. It either goes over well (I would LOVE to get a mechanical Mälzel 'nome for Christmas) or will send all kinds of wrong signals.

You never know. And that's what makes giving gifts so hard.

S-Bigbottom, Gaolee and saabfender like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    1. Gifts shouldn't refer to something negative. What she saw was one other person calling her fat.
    2. If she is doing something about it, unless she asks for your input, she wants to do it her way.

rendevouz likes this.
  16. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You’re a guy. It should be no surprise we see things different than women. Insensitivity to that reality is how this sort of emotional SNAFU happens.

yodedude2 likes this.
  17. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would so love getting a metronome shaped like a gnome. Putting on my list right now.

Nashrakh likes this.
  18. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    My neighbour bought his wife a vacuum cleaner for Mother's Day. I don't think she spoke to him for a week lol.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This reminds of when in 6th grade, the class did a secret Santa and the teacher gifted a student with poor hygiene a basket of soap and shampoo. It was probably one of the most cruel, awkward things I’ve ever witnessed. People would taunt and pick on this poor girl constantly and one could literally smell her from around a corner. At the time, I don’t think anyone knew or thought about the reasons for the young lady’s poor hygiene, which was a result of her living in a home that had no running hot water and wasn’t very far removed from what was essentially a one room shack.

While everyone was unwrapping gifts of toys and candy, this poor girl was unwrapping a big fat reminder of her unfortunate situation. I could understand the teacher privately gifting her this basket of bath products, but the fact that she sat and watched her open it in front of the class read like something well beyond benign cluelessness. I know that OP was well meaning, so it’s not really comparable, but alas, it’s a vote from me for a “no gift” policy when it comes to non immediate family.

Gaolee, yodedude2 and Nashrakh like this.
  20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Personally my thought is, if that person is/has been making a big show(tell?) about losing weight and being “big time” into fitness, then they, and those who must know too, have nothing to gripe about when a gift targeting that all important enough to talk about it all the freakin time lose weight get in shape scenario is given.

If they had waxed poetic about the latest MC D’s artery clogging item them maybe a gift cert. would have been appropriate but it sounds like you paid attention and acted accordingly.

Sounds like a few more gifts are needed. Pacifiers for the criers :)

In all seriousness cash is king with a nice card. It’s lazy but safe if I don’t know them terribly well or the gift is dead obvious to me.

dwm74 likes this.