Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb n00b here!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Mud Flaps, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What is a German or French bow? What's the difference? Is there any kinds of other bows?

I play for my school's Jazz Ensemble. I don't actually own a double bass. But my intonation is okay and I'm not entirely terrible at playing the double jazz style. There's a bow sitting right next to the upright at school that isn't used by anyone. I don't know what kind it is, but I kinda like fooling around with it. I was hoping to identify it. Thanks.

2. French bow is held with an overhand grip, German is underhand. Try doing a google search, I'm sure you can find some pictures. I wouldn't try teaching yourself to use the bow; you'll just pick up bad habits. If you want to learn, find a good teacher; maybe at your local symphony or university.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    There is an actual physical difference between a French and German bow? It's not defined just by the way you hold it, right?

4. yes. like I said, google search. Nice signature, by the way...

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    German Bow:

[​IMG]

French Bow:

[​IMG]

6. Heh, those pics came from Ithaca College. Awesome.

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thats where I'm hoping to go (pending audition) *fingers crossed*! Not too far away from Cornell, so I hear ;)

8. Cornell to wed, Ithaca to bed!

:D :D :D

9. Until you play with a bow, you can't really know whether your intonation is accurate.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I heard that! And so do my cats, every time I practice arco.

11. Well, here's one way to feel old - the year you were born, I was headed off to college. Ithaca in fact. Funny, although it doesn't seem that long ago, it was half of my lifetime.

Are you hoping to major in Tuba or Bass? Either way, you'll be in good hands if Dave Unland (tuba) is still there. I studied DB with Henry Neubert and jazz with Steve Brown, and I will tell you that both of those professors are outstanding teachers and performers. I owe all of my modest accomplishments to them (and a little woodshedding) Good luck!

12. Steve Brown is an excellent jazz teacher (his 2-5-1 packet is the BALM that SOOTHES), but the guitarists at Cornell and IC all hated him because he thought that the ne plus ultra of jazz guitar was Barney Kessel. :rolleyes:

13. His favorite album title: "Music to Listen to Barney Kessel By"

Favorite sayings: "Movin' and Groovin'", "There's a madness to my method and a method to my madness", "Love ya, Babe!", and of course, for bassists, "You're the lowest, man...HEE HEE HEE..." (smiles, opens eyes wide, and nods head.)
    If that was true, which I doubt, it would have been their loss. I never had any problem distinguishing Steve's teachings from his personality. Whether you like him or not, he knows how to get his point across. I suspect he was advocating going thru Kessel before you get to Mike Stern, i.e. learn the tradition. Most guitarists at that age don't know s**t from shinola, and some are both ignorant AND cocky, so I can't say I blame him.

14. Yeah, it probably was their loss--you certainly need to know the tradition. On the other hand, it's kinda sad when a jazz educator refuses to acknowledge the existence of rock. The Brown-trained trumpeter who ran the jazz program at Cornell was a prime example of this.

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My main instrument is tuba. I am better on tuba than bass BY FAR. I do plan to study jazz and theory, and that is where bass will come in. A littl birdie told me that Ithaca had a killer jazz program, as well as their classical program, and that influenced my decision as to selecting Ithaca as my first choice. He was a very smug little birdie :smug: ;)

16. :smug:

(Hey, who you callin' "little?" :mad: ;) )

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    :D

18. Once again, your penchant for hyperbole has gotten the better of you. Refusing to acknowledge the existence of rock is one thing. Refusing to include it in the program is another. After all, you did say it was a JAZZ program, right?

I don't know many trumpeters who consider themselves "Rock-n-Rollers"...Is it C.P. to whom you refer?

19. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    How would I figure out if my school's bow is French or German? Is there an easy sign? Something like, uh, capital letters in iambic pentameter?

P.S. Thanks, I like my sig too.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The french bow, since it is held overhand, has a shorter frog. THe german bow has a tall frog. That is the main identifier.