1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dumb question of the day!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by straightblues, Mar 24, 2013.

1. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    I just started playing bass. I am a long time guitar player. I blew out one of my guitar speakers with my bass the first day I got it. I got the burning smell and it just quit. So that leads me to my question.

Will I damage guitar effects pedals by playing bass through them? I would guess no, but figured I would ask before making another costly mistake.

2. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    No, pedals will be just fine

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nope, there isn't any way effects would be negatively impacted due to a guitar or a bass being plugged into them. A lot of "guitar" effects will kill the low-end signal and thus might not sound great for bass, but you won't hurt the effects themselves :)

--

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1.

Most bassists simply use whatever effects work for their sonic needs, not just the "bass specific" models.

5. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks buys. I have lots of effects pedals so I will start plugging them in and see what I like. Should be a fun afternoon.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    And smokey as well? :p:D