1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duncan Designed vs. Fender Original J Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thedrummer, Oct 10, 2009.

Which Pickups Would You Choose?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2009.
  1. Duncan Designed J Bass

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Fender Original 60's J Bass

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. thedrummer

thedrummer

Aug 5, 2009
    Hey folks,

I have a Squire VMJ with the Duncan Designed pickups. The stock pickups sound pretty good, but I'm looking for a little more bottom and growl in the tone. I've done a little research, and the Fender Original 60's J Bass pickups (standard on the Geddy Lee model) may be what I need. I don't have access to any Geddy Lee Jazz models locally for an a/b. If anyone has experience with the Duncan Designed as well as the Fender Original 60's pickups, I'd appereciate your input.

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I like the Model J's by DiMarzio, as well as Basslines.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +10 on DiMarzio's. They'll destroy any Fender or DD pickup.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. JBPB

JBPB

Oct 10, 2009
    I loved the sound of Fender Original '60's in my bass. But Dimarzios, Basslines have more low end.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    do you want low mid growl or high mid growl? the sound of a split humbucker will be closer to what you already have with the duncan designed which arent wound very hot at all. not exact, but ball park. the fenders though are on a different tone spectrum all together. more upper midrange growl and less extended in the clicky/airy highs. theyre a very good pickup.

be careful not to get caught up with anyone telling you one pickup will destroy another. they are different voices/flavors and only your tone preference will determine whats good or not.

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Be careful with Fender Originals, quality control varies a lot.

I had two pairs with dropped wirings, short in one of them… and frankly, the Duncan designed doesn't sound that bad.

If you don't want to spend money on pickups I recommend the Duncan SJB-1 or a DiMarzio. For a little more get the NJ4.

8. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    having installed the Dimazio model J , basslines , Fender 60's , and Fender Vintage Noiseless (current) in a few different Fender Jazz basses .. a couple old 70's models , a Geddy , a Fender franken parts bass , and my current 85 Jazz ...

i think the model J , for a humbucking pup , had the thickest sound .... but beware they are just a bit taller than the average pickup ..!! for the price they're hard to beat ..!

i think i'm going to try some Sadowsky hum cancelling pups next ... also looking for nice thick lows , but with clearer airy
    highs ...!?

if you buy them used , you can usually try them out .. then if you wanna try something else , you won't take to much of a beating $$$ when you re-sell ... gotta shop around ...

we can all talk about what we might like ... but that might not relate to your setup ..!

enjoy your search ... and have fun soldering ..!! DC

9. thedrummer

thedrummer

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. The research continues...

10. thedrummer

thedrummer

Aug 5, 2009
    How about the STK-J2 stacked or the SJB-2 single coil? It sounds like the SJB-2 is a hotter, more bottom heavy version of the Duncan Designed. The STK-J2 is a humbucker with more wiring options. Thoughts?

11. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    It depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. These PUs are not very "vintage" sounding.
    I mean, they sound OK but more robust and hotter than a standard single.