1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Durable alternative to the Bass Buggy?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by MaxJohnson, Aug 3, 2012.

1. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've been a user of the bass buggy for the past 8 months or so, and it's finally broken to the point where it doesn't do it's job. Before the clip that holds the bungee chord in place broke, the bar that holds the straps broke, and before then it was perfect. The design is brilliant, and I've really enjoyed using it, as the two wheels take pressure off my shoulder and there's nothing crammed in the endblock, BUT it isn't durable enough for everyday use.

I am writing to see if anyone has found an alternative that works in a similar manner that isn't made of plastic that will break in a couple months.

Please let me know your thoughts!

2. petesenkowski

petesenkowski Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I've used the bass buggy since March 2009 at least two or three times a week, often over less than ideal surfaces. The only problem I've experienced is stretching of the elastic cord; I've supplemented it with a 24 inch bungee cord and all is well.

I haven't heard of other users with problems like yours; it seems that perhaps you got a rare lemon. Have you spoken with anyone at KC Strings since the parts started to break?

Thanks,
    Pete

3. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    I'm sure KC Strings would want to know your concerns so they can engineer a more durable buggy. Maybe they'll send you the parts you need as well.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    My Kolstein Stroller has been in continuous use since '78 or so. I bought a backup a few years ago and still haven't needed to use it.

5. RCWilliams

RCWilliams Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 23, 2007
    Merriam Kansas (Kansas City)
    owner RC Williams Co. LLC
    Max, I'm sorry you are having a problem with your bass buggie, as far as I know you are on of a very small number (2) of bass buggie owners who have had the problem you have had with the bungee hook, I cut it from 3/16 abs plastic and it shouldn't be easy to break. the strap retainer buckle is a bit more easy to break and replacements can be provided which allow for replacing with out cutting the strap. Any and all parts of the buggie can be replaced, I have a rebuild kit for those who manage to smash the body as well. bungees are a wear item, but if there are problems with in a year, I will take care of them, so long as it is not due to in appropriate use.

If there are problems with bass buggies, I want to know, these are not a kc strings product, please contact me at rick@kcncproduction.com.

Since you guys in NY are harder than any one else in the world, I suppose I could have a special NYC model with thicker plastic and added weight and price.

Rick Williams
    www.dblbassbuggie.com

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Same problems here. Will e-mail.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I've had great luck with mine. The only issue was the valuable lesson learned when I loaded my bass in the car with buggy side down. One of the rubber balls on the bungee went through the rib when I was careless in loading. The balls have been replaced by washers, however I now hook the bungee over the hook.

All in all, it's been a great product.

8. I'm having the same problem, live in Sao Paulo, Brazil (awful streets, but I'm kinda careful when wheeling).

Got my BassBugie 1 year ago and I love it, but last week the plastic bar which holds the straps started to brake. It is still usable but I suppose with the vibrations in the next weeks or months the crack will increase to the retirement point... Hope I'm wrong.

9. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    I have been using the kolstein stroller for years here in NYC. Every so often I get the wheels replaced and it refurbished by them. I wish it was easier to change the wheels though. I have had the metal base crack, making me question the longevity of the plastic KC one. My repairman said he has never seen a rib crack or damage from the Kolstein stroller. I think the kolstein is easier to attach to. Those long bungee cords are a bit too much for me.

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I wanted to publicly thank Rick Williams for fixing my buggie today. Due to rough handling I dropped the bass when going down my front steps and bent the axle to the point where one wheel wouldn't turn. I took it over to Rick (benefits to being local) and he replaced the axle with the currently used stronger alloy design. He confirmed that my unit is one of the first ones made, before a few improvements.
    I believe had I been using a conventional wheel significant damage would have been done to my bass. May my buggie live another five years!!:)